FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety is overwhelming!

Acesb
Community Member
Hi, I've been recently feeling very overwhelmed because of tasks that I need to get completed at school and the fact that I have to go do work experience for one week which makes me very nervous. What are ways to reduce the anxiety I am feeling?
2 Replies 2

Neil_1
Community Member
Hi there acesb

Welcome to Beyond Blue and thank you for coming here to provide your post.

With regard to your school work, do you feel ok with the tasks that you need to finish and it’s just that you have a number of them to do? Or are you not quite sure how to do them? If it’s the first one, is it possible to see if you’re able to link up with a friend who is in the same class, so that you could possibly work on them together? To dedicate some time of an evening or even on a weekend so you can get a lot of work done on them?

If it’s the 2nd option, is it possible to speak with your teacher (privately, if you feel comfortable doing that) and let them know that you’re not quite sure what is needed to be done? I’m sure they would be more than happy to give you further advice and guidance for how to tackle these tasks?? Or perhaps again, a friend who might be able to offer some assistance?

Again, with regard to work experience, this is something that affects so many on their first time (and even beyond their first time). Is there some guidance that your parents could possibly give to help ease some concerns? Or possibly, would you feel comfortable in calling the organisation that you’re going to, to talk to say, the contact person there – just to let them know a little about how you’re feeling and if there’s things you could do in preparation for it? Something to just help ease your anxieties? Again, I’m sure they would have had a number of work experience students in the past, so would be more than happy to help share some thoughts with you?

I hope even one of the things that I’ve mentioned helps you.

Would love to hear back from you.

Neil

Enju
Community Member

Hello!

I know school can be a total pain in the bum and completely stressful!

My favourite thing to do when I'm feeling overwhelmed is writing a list. Of everything you need to get done and when they need to be done by. Then you can start categorizing into what needs to be done first, and start working your way through the list. Even breaking them up so you don't feel like you have to get them all done at once. Everyday just knock a little more off the list. That helps me when my brain is going a million miles per hour about everything I need to get done.

As for the nervousness with the work experience. First of all, best of luck! Work experience is nervewracking for everyone but it's also super exciting! Getting a chance to just try out a different life for a little while. Just take a few deep breaths and know that you got this! You can do it!

It'll be fun! a new experience 🙂 instead of dwelling on the scary parts of it, perhaps change the focus to the positive sides, at least you don't have school for a week? amiright? xD (tbh I'm not sure how work experience works anymore, since I didn't get to do it 😛 )

I hope it all goes well for you! Let us know what you liked about it! 😄

Best of luck friend! 🙂