FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

am i really attention seeking and dramatic or is something wrong with me

jdszhdizhp
Community Member

i find myself wanting people to think i'm upset, i have been but i feel like my issues are nothing compared to theirs and i would be selfish for venting, if im with my best friend i smile so much it hurts, the second i get home im so moody and grumpy and rude and i always feel so guilty, in classes without my best friend im not as happy im more fidgety and sleepy i dont know if thats because im bored or what, i find myself wanting to have depression or anxiety so i have a reason to be upset or vent even though that is something no one wants which makes me feel really bad about myself, i struggle from body image and im really insecure, im not as smart as people i know and im struggling to pass my classes , i dont know if its got something to do with my period but yeah, i find myself always searching symptoms of mental issues a lot, ive been feeling lonely recently even though i have so many loved ones around pls help me i want to go to therapy to vent because my parents are strict and would just say im on my period or being dramatic

3 Replies 3

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey j(alhabet soup)p lol, welcome to the forums. 

Wow, that's a lot on your mind! HUGS! 

Ok, stop. Please know that a lot of what you're saying in your first post sounds like "comparing yourself to others" and being self conscious of yourself (I guess that's the meaning of SELF conscious). Don't mind me, I'm tired but couldn't let your post go unanswered. 

I really hope no one ever says to you, "oh you're just on your period" !!! oh dear! I hope not! 

Apparently there are Apps to track your period and log your mood daily, but I'm not sure if that'll help. 

You can always Register with eHeadspace and speak with their trained Youth Counsellors via text typing on your laptop or such. They support Youth from around 13yo - 24yo I think? If you're in that age range you can join up. 

But you are VERY welcome to keep posting here on the forums with or without Headspace. Please do! 

All in all I'm really impressed that you're asking these questions about yourself at such a young age! 
This shows a measure of emotional maturity and a willingness for self reflection. 

Dear girl, be kind to yourself. The teen years can be full of confusion at the best of times. No teens in our living memory have had to cope with the multitudinous issues of trying to get through teen years DURING a Pandemic. 
Us oldies are HERE for you! 
We want you all to thrive and become happy, confident people in the world. 

I'm sure you will become a wonderful adult. 
Love EMxxxx

Sophie_M
Dear jdszhdizhp

Welcome to the forums, it’s great to have you here and we just want to commend you for having the courage in posting and sharing your experience to the forums this evening.

We can hear you are carried a lot of emotions there and trying extremely hard to make sense of them; what confuses this more for you is that you have those moments where you are so happy and you smile so much it hurts!

We too agree with ecomama.  Assuming you are still at school, you mention struggling to pass your classes, please know that its such a difficult period and there might be a range of possible explanations here that might explain what you are going through, to mention a few, diet, social connections, stressful events (such as exams, study), health (including hormones!) and with this, one area may be impacting on the other.  So this explains as to why you are so confused and searching mental illness symptoms; it doesn’t mean that you are selfish, you are just trying to make sense of it all in what feels like chaos to you.  It’s great that you are reaching out and wanting to vent, the good news is that there are options for support, in addition to this forum and your parents and if you feel up to talking, we have included the links below for you.

For a friendly chat (or vent!) we are here 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 if ever you want to pick up the phone.  You might also like to try KidsHelpline on 1800 55 1800, or Headspace on 1800 650 890; these options are also available through webchat, if you'd prefer:

Again, thank you for having the courage to post this evening, in addition to ecomama we are sure you will hear from other community members too along the way.  Please remember to take care of you and that we are always here if you need us.

Regards

Sophie M

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello jdszhdizhp, I can't say for sure, only you would know from previous months whether or not this usually happens, but surely not having parents to discuss this doesn't help and it's easy for them to say 'it's that time of the month', but they aren't you.

It can happen with people wanting their friends/family to believe they are suffering from a MI because they feel lonely and want some notice taken of them so there is an online test to see if you are struggling with some sort of depression, I can't give you the link but if you place 'online depression test' in your search bar it will appear and please let us know.

Geoff.

Life Member.