FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Already given up?

eukaryote
Community Member

Hey all,

Anyone else experience major difficulty getting out of bed every morning? It’s been happening to me for the past 2 years on and off, but now it’s a daily occurrence.

I had many failures last year (mostly academic) due to my own lack of motivation. Even though i have come up with a plan on how to get my life back on track in 2020, have listed all my New Years resolutions, fitness plans and hobbies, I still don’t feel any better. I’m even staring an exciting casual job this year but I just have zero energy.

I feel like atm I am just at home doing nothing all day. It’s kinda scary because it’s really like I have given up on life and I’m only in my early 20’s!

4 Replies 4

iamanxiety
Community Member
Hi,

The answere is yes, I have trouble waking up every morning. no motivation,can't deal with the day. I have been making slow improvements but for me it has been a slow process .

you are quite young so it's great that you can see you have an issue and are looking for ways to overcome this.

I wish I had been more self aware at your age and sort help sooner.

have you sort advise or suport from any professionals. just want to get an idea of what you may have tried .

Andrew

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Eukaryote~

Welcome here. as Iamanxiety says it is good you see there is a problem and are trying to take steps to fix it. Making a whole bunch of resolutions and plans sounds sensible, but in many ways simply sets one up for failure.

I have felt like that when depression has been on the up, and made me feel worse because I was judging myself by normal standards, rather then making allowances for my illness.

So may I ask if you have been to the doctor and explained what is happening to you and the fact it is increasing? I found I simply got worse and more incapable until I had competent medical help.

Having an exciting job to go to is a real blessing, and I suspect getting started will be the hardest thing, then interest will help.

In your early 20's you have plenty of time to get well and lead a full life.

Croix

Thank you so much for both of your replies! I have considered getting professional help but atm i really can’t afford it. I have tried other mental health centres that are supposed to be free for young people but they seem to put priority on actual children than someone in their early 20’s (I can understand this though).

As a health science student I have some very basic knowledge on mental health and theoretically some strategies that can help. However putting these into practice without support from another person is actually a lot more difficult than I thought.

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Eukaryote~

I guess Headspace

https://headspace.org.au/young-people/how-headspace-can-help/

and other organizations may have a waiting list, however with your name down I would think you would eventually be on the active treatment list. Headspace, if it is in your area, treats those up to 25 for free or at a minimal cost.

While I do not believe it is a substitute for a face to face interaction a fair number of people have found on-line therapy to be very helpful

I would suggest the Mindspot Clinic

https://mindspot.org.au/

They are a government backed organization that offers free diagnosis and therapy courses under the supervision of trained professionals with who you can talk to on a weekly basis (or at other times)

Perhaps you might like to see if there is anything there you might find of help?

Croix