FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

alcohol abuse

slugsaredelicious
Community Member

For the past few years I've been struggling with my mental health and recently I started drinking to stop myself from thinking about what's been going on and so I could be happy but now I can't stop myself. I'm losing friends over this and I hate it - like what's wrong with me for turning to alcohol instead of dealing with like everyone else. Even now it feels wrong to reach out because this is my own fault. 

5 Replies 5

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey slugsaredelicious (what a mouthful lol!)

Hugs, you are SO welcome to this safe space to talk out your stuff. 
EVERYONE and I mean ev-er-y-one deals with things in ways they wish they hadn't at SOME point in their life. 

There's absolutely no shame to be felt that you've used alcohol to distract yourself. NONE. 

You are AWESOME for reaching out right now! 
You deserve help and you are worthy of any support you receive. 

Good on you for doing so. 

I noticed you described a pattern of thinking and behaviours (potential alcoholism) that can lead you into a downwards spiral. 
It can stop right now. 

I found the Anonymous groups (AA in your case perhaps?) a gentle but powerful, NON shamed base program to attend. 
If you can get hold of some of their literature, you may see the patterns of thinking and behaviours more clearly. 
It's like a merry-go-round...
feel bad, drink to escape, do some crappy things, remember the next day >>
feel bad about THAT on top of feeling bad, drink to escape - round and round and round and on it goes. 

JUMPING OFF that merry-go-round may take alot of support, and working on yourself, but you CAN do it. 

It's time. 

You've got this! Being aware of you've been doing is AMAZING. Some people never look at this in themselves. 
Kudos to you that you have. 

Best wishes
EM

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello, alcohol may have the belief it will stop your thinking, but rather it can create many other problems and then the situation becomes worse.

As soon as we start to drink it can quite easily become a usual event, become addicted to it and because of this there is a great chance we lose the friends we once had.

Alcohol is used to cover the problems we have, rather than talking them through with a counsellor.

Many psych's rejected me simply because I was drinking alcohol, although finally a psychologist accepted me for who I was and began a long arrangement with me and continued for many years.

When you drink people don't want to listen to you because it's dominated by alcohol and at times don't believe what you are saying because it's not your true thoughts, instead the grog is talking.

This isn't your fault and you can't be blamed for an option that at the time seemed to be an easy way to cope and now that you have seemed a blinkering light there are many options to consider.

If you want to stop, then your doctor can prescribe medication that will stop the urge to drink, it takes away your desire to need it, but will only work if you want to give it away.

I haven't drunk for close to 3 years and some lost friends I have been able to retain, but it's because I have reached out to them, while others have vanished, this is what I have been able to cope with.

Would love to hear back from you.

Geoff.

Life Member.

Sophie_M
Dear slugsaredelicious,

We noticed you may believe tht most people don't struggle with alcohol. We would like to reassure you that quite a few people self medicate with alcohol in the attempt to forget their mental pain. As both Geoff and Ecomamma have stated, the seemly quick and easy relief of alcohol is actually a legal seductive trap which quite easily draws many people into its toxic embrace.

Fortunately, you are demonstrating lots of strength and courage by posting about your developing struggles with alcohol. It is this strength which you can harness toward finding your way toward possibly declaring divorce from alcohol just as Geoff has done.

We would like to encourage you to talk with your GP about your recent developing relationship with alcohol. Your GP may be able to help you develop a mental health plan so you might be able to meet with a mental health professional who should be able to help you start this process, whilst also helping you develop healthier strategies for coming to terms with your mental illness struggles.

We would also like to encourage you to ring Beyond Blue Support Service on 1300 22 4636, or Lifeline on 13 11 14. Both services are open 24 hours per day, every day of the year.

Warm regards,

Sophie M.

MaddieT
Community Member

Firstly - there is NOTHING wrong with you! Times are hard, life is tricky and none of that is YOUR fault.

Secondly - Wow! How brave are you? I wish I had had your courage. You've already worked out what it is that you want to change, and you have reached out. Well done you, that is huge and impressive.

Thirdly - Do not judge yourself against others. Honestly, you don't know what they are using to cope - just because you can't see it doesn't mean that they are dealing with life any better than you.

Finally - there is nothing wrong with you. You sought a legal, socially acceptable means to deal with stuff. You know it's not working for you anymore and you are looking for alternatives (like posting here).  That takes strength and self awareness that is really hard to reach. And you have done it!

Sorry this is long I just felt so touched by you and your ability to reach out.

Take care

Daniel_2991-
Community Member

I feel your pain. Like myself you are lost and are looking for answers. An there is nothing wrong with that. In regards to your alcohol I won't comment because it is probably different to mine