FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Wife suffering from persecutory delusions, can they eventually forgive the wrongly accused?

Logan_III
Community Member

My wife of nearly 20 years has always suffered from depression but the past 4 years have been the hardest on me due to the amplification of her hypervigilance/judgemental-ness/persecutory beliefs based on past unresolved trauma. She has seen a psychiatrist for many years but they never seem to delve into the cause and over the past 4 years her paranoia regarding people close to me has escalated.

I have had to part way for numerous friends, minimal contact with my family and I am now more isolated than ever. I have given up sports that I enjoyed due to the clubs being part of the conspiracy. These people are accused of sharing emails or texts, hacking accounts, passing on information to media outlets and general gaslighting in an effort to get her to return to a past workplace (one source of her past trauma).

Like many people suffering the above, jumping to conclusions with minimal evidence, not believing her Dr and being angry at needing medication (antidepressant and a mild antipsychotic) when she believes it's all these people who need to stop and apologise.

Can someone who believes in these things so strongly ever get to a point where they realise that these people have not done what her mind has convinced her of or is it 'locked in'.

I guess I am at a point where I am assessing our future as a family unit. We have children and it is really starting to impact them and my lust for life is also at an all-time low.

I read all the help guides regarding caring for someone suffering from this, but I fear catching up with people (who have not been accused) as I may lose them too.

It's not a great way to live and if things are set in her mind, even if she gets things under control, I miss all my friends and catching up with family regularly without the crippling anxiety it brings me.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Bob_22
Community Member

Hi Logan_III,

Thank you for reaching out here. It sounds like you are in an extremely difficult situation and I'm sorry for that. It is hard for me to suggest anything to you as it seems the issues are stemming from your wife and her mental health. The best I can do is suggest that you accompany your wife to your next appointment with her psychiatrist. It may be appropriate that you have a one on one with her psychiatrist (mine has been happy to do this in the past with family members) where you can openly discuss these issues that you've been having with her in private (or you could even refer them to this post). It may be that counselling sessions are required or a medication change/increase. In the meantime, do your best to take care of yourself. You may be restricted in who you can contact for now but as her mental health improves I'm sure these restrictions will lift.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance. Please keep us updated and I hope things improve shortly.

Bob