FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Tired and bored with myself

Todder
Community Member

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has some tools to help me get past what I have been feeling for the past 12 months.

I have an empty nest and I am 59 years of age, with few friends or family and I am tired of trying to make friends. I work alone, but am reasonably paid for what I do and instead of facing my loneliness, fears, unhappiness, I gamble and that takes my focus off the real issues. Because I can continue on the hamster wheel of life. I have lost my way and need help to get myself back on track, but as I said I am stuck and even though I know nothing will change unless I change it,I do nothing. Why I do not know?Just tired of trying, I have joined so many groups and been to meet ups and not found a connection. But I see no other alternatives because sitting home every night ain't going to cut it either!

I live in Darwin and I like the sound of your 6 week course, can you do it online?

First step putting it out there, thanks for your time - Todder

1 Reply 1

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Todder,

Welcome to the community here. Sorry to read you are a little stuck in the same spot at the moment. I know what that is like. It can be difficult to break out of the same box we have lived in for a while.

Sounds like you have tried to make friends, join in with groups and other activities. There have been times when I have needed to push myself into attending groups for a while before it starts to feel like it is "normal" and "okay" then I relax and enjoy myself.

One time I tried to think of something right out of my usual and ended up joining the Country Fire Service and a Riding for the Disabled Group. Unfortunately my depression got the better of me after a while and I stopped doing both activities, but at least I had given them a go.

Are there any volunteer roles you might consider doing, even if it is a couple of hours every fortnight? That can be a way to meet people.

Could you please explain what the 6 week course is that you are considering?

Wishing you all the best in finding motivation and determination. It seems to me that sometimes these things hibernate!

Cheers to you from Dools