FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

this sydney lockdown is even getting this introvert down

sparehead
Community Member

Hi Im new here I was actually enjoying the lockdown till a few days ago - but all the neighbours noises are finally getting to me I just need peace and quiet to be happy -the trail bikes the dup dup music invading my solitude - just being stuck here unable to escape it

any tips and help gratefully welcomed

18 Replies 18

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi sparehead ,

Wellcome to our forums!

I understand your lockdown would be hard..,

Can you go outside and use a little time to exercise if it’s aloud? You could try mindfullness while you are out….

Meditation is very relaxing, have you tried this?

Hang in there..

Here to chat

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello sparehead,

A very warm and caring welcome to our forums...

Im sorry the noise from your neighbour and the music is getting you...

Its hard to avoid these noises if we are stuck at home...I now this isn’t a full solution..but if you have some head phones to use maybe that would block out some of the noise...just a thought....even you could wear them outside if your allowed out for a walk or a sit in the park...I think it’s within 5 kilometres from home...not sure what state your in...in NSW we are allowed some form of exercise outside...

I used to read a lot, but due to my mental health can’t concentrate long enough...to get away from tractor noises (I live rural NSW).,,I pop my ear phones on and listen to audio books...this seems to work for me...but I do know that what works for one doesn’t mean it works for all..but maybe worth a try..to get your mind of your troubling thoughts....

Talk here whenever you feel up to it...and we will support you the best we can with care and understanding..

My kindest thoughts dear spacehead...

Grandy..

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear sparehead...I am so sorry..looks like auto correct took over and I said your name wrong...I am so sorry..I should have checked before I pressed send..,,

should have been..

My kindest thoughts dear sparehead..

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello sparehead,

Welcome to the forums!

I'm in Sydney as well and also quite introverted. So while the lockdown hasn't really bothered me too much in the way it has for most of my friends, it's also stopped me from doing things I would normally do to mentally escape or otherwise find my own solitude.

I used to go for quiet bush walks and do indoor rock climbing (noisy area, but it gets me mentally into a zone of quiet), and can't do that anymore. And if my area goes into curfew, I won't be able to do my late night walks which will be a real shame.

In the meantime, I've started doing yoga which I find quite helpful, and I do a lot more reading and podcast listening. What things have you tried to do, or which have helped in the past?

James

mocha delight
Community Member
Hi sparehead just wanted to say welcome to the forums and if you ever need to chat I’m here for you ok.

sparehead
Community Member

thank u Ggrand I also live semi rural hence the trail bikes - and before the houses took over it used to be an orchard area so I do know how annoying the tractors can be sympathy for that - I do have good headphones and can block the noise out but it just realy annoys me and stops me from concentrating I love drawing pencil drawing I will just have to try harder not to let it get to me its nice to have someone who understands to chat to thanks

I love spacehead so thanks Ggrand I will use that somewhere in future

sparehead
Community Member

thanks James I also love to walk in the bush which is just down the road from me but I have been unable to get there for a while due to a lower back issue which is gradually getting better so maybe in a week or so I might be able to walk there again take my sketch book and spend a while - before the lock down I used to drive to the beach where I just feel so at home but thats too far - not allowed now

I havnt tried yoga but have read about benefits but u really need a teacher for this correct?

even though I am on the introverted side of personality I still actually need some face to face contact occasionally and I live alone and I think this is also making me notice the annoying things more as well

thanks for letting me talk to you

Sparehead

Thank u Petal22 for the welcome I have never done the forum thing before and didnt realise how helpful this actually is - I have just responded to 2 posts and am finding it amazing to actually talk to people who understand so thanks for the warm welcome

Sparehead

denismccarthy
Community Member
How do I get in touch with a mental health nurse in Western Sydney who might offer phone counselling or home visits?