FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

this sydney lockdown is even getting this introvert down

sparehead
Community Member

Hi Im new here I was actually enjoying the lockdown till a few days ago - but all the neighbours noises are finally getting to me I just need peace and quiet to be happy -the trail bikes the dup dup music invading my solitude - just being stuck here unable to escape it

any tips and help gratefully welcomed

18 Replies 18

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello sparehead,

Nice to hear back from you.

Sorry to hear about your back issue, it sounds quite painful. But once it gets better, I hope you get more of a chance to get out and do some sketching. I used to do a bit of drawing as well, but I've not done it in a while. I find it quite hard to do anything creative in lockdown, so I've been trying to read instead.

With yoga, I think it really depends on the person and what they want from it. For me, I just want to do something physical and also need to do some stretching because I have a problem with my neck and shoulders. But I'm not good at stretching on my own and prefer to have someone tell me what to do, so I find youtube yoga videos quite helpful. If you're curious, i basically do the same video by a youtube channel called yoga with adriene, but there are quite a lot out there. If you want to have perfect yoga poses, you will probably need to have an in-person teacher, but for my purposes, youtube is sufficient. Are there benefits that you'd be interested in?

James

Hello denis,

It's nice to meet you.

Have you tried giving the beyondblue phone line a call? They provide brief support if you are looking for someone to talk to, as well as general advice and information as well. Their number is at the bottom of this website, 1300 22 4636.

Otherwise, your local gp might also be able to help provide consistent and regular support, or give you some referral to a nearby counsellor. I think most are now providing counselling services on the phone, due to the pandemic.

I hope you are doing okay.

James

sparehead
Community Member

Hi James

sorry about the delay in replying been busy - i have been walking a bit and sketching I find the burnt out trees from last years bush fires good subject matter for pencil as the contrast is wonderful and the shapes also

with the Yoga I believe it helps with mindfullness I could also do with some good stretching as well ;>) I will check out the the youtube channel you mention

thanks for the help

Most psychologists offer phone consulting - like James said try beyond blue or your GP to get a mental health care plan so then the visit to the psychologist dosnt cost as much

I saw a councellor for a couple of years for corcercive control issues and it really helped me you can do this anywhere in Sydney although it can take a while to get an appointment - so why not try Beyond Blue or lifeline first then get the other sorted out

here to chat best wishes

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hey sparehead

no worries at all! I haven't been on since I last posted anyway. Everyone's quite busy with their schedules, you're free to post whenever you are able to 🙂

sounds like the walking and sketching is going well. I used to do charcoal drawings and i imagine that would be pretty interesting with that burnt out landscape.

I hope you can find a good way to do some mindfullness and stretching. Take care for now!

James

sparehead
Community Member

Hi James

thanks for the info on yoga with adriene I have checked out her channel and I have started with the core strength one but will try a few more as well - I like her style so thanks for that

did your area go into curfew? how are you going without your night walks?

thanks Sparehead

Amanda2000
Community Member

Hi sparehead,

I feel the same way. However my issues are literally closer-to-home. I cannot stand having my family at home with me 24/7. I hide in a room most of the time and avoid seeing them. Any noise they make just drives me crazy! To make things worse, a large part of my house is tiled.

My coping strategy is distraction. Sometimes not easy but gotta try to get some enjoyment out of the current way of life.

Hi Amanda

my heart goes out to you having to endure this -noise has always been a problem for me if I cant control it - I just need my own space to be how I want - I dont live with anyone now and its bliss I use distraction as well drawing does it for me I put the headphones on and just get lost in a pencil drawing and I can walk into the bush and take a sketch pad

are you able to take advantage of the outdoor exercise that is now allowed?

Here to chat best wishes Sparehead

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hey sparehead and Amanda2000,

My sister lived with mum for a bit of covid last year and she also found it really tough. In some way, I'm quite glad I live alone, though I appreciate there are many others who don't thrive alone.

Luckily, I'm not in one of the curfew areas but I am in the inner west with quite a few cases, so I've stopped doing late night walks. I suppose there's no one outside anyway, but I think I've just created an internal rule to not go outside unless I really need to. I haven't found it too bad without my walks - I just do yoga and reading, sometimes listen to an interesting podcast, and I've also found some really fun puzzle games on the xbox which are surprisingly stimulating but also relaxing at the same time. I also have pets so they keep me very busy.

Hope you are doing well 🙂

Oh! One of the things that has been really irritating is I've got construction next door and it's just constant noise from morning to arvo, so I don't even go out to my garden as much anymore. I used to just sit out there to read and relax, but with construction noise, I only do it to get some sun...