FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Think im losing it

Comettail
Community Member
Hi i’m new on here, i am 59 yrs old and been diagnosed anxiety and depression, my anxiety is taken control of my life. I can’t even have a coffee without having an attack, my head goes funny, i get tingles then my breathing goes out of wack it’s scaring me. I also been put on a bipap machine as i stop breathing when i sleep i depend on that now to help me control my breathing and it calms me down. My carer carries me to his car when i have dr appointments cause of my anxiety its gone over the roof any advise would be great.
4 Replies 4

GP1111
Community Member

Dear Comettail,

I understand what you are going through. If you can still find enough motivation, please try meditation. Meditation is not scary and there is no right or wrong way to do it. It's about living mindfully. Now anxiety, according to Buddist school of thought is worrying about the future. What meditation will teach you is to focus on the present. It's not hard or easy. It's like picking up a habit - a chemical-free (and probably the best) way to live. There are plenty of videos on You Tube. What also helps is having friends and support who get your condition.
I am 37. I lost my job and career to anxiety. I became an alcoholic because of it. My wife left me 'coz she could not understand what afflicted me. I can't drive. I have no friends 'coz I was too anxious to pick up their calls (even when drunk). I have contemplated suicide. But now I am beginning to see hope. I meditate. I have no one to support me. Meditation is my only hope and it's working for me. See me as your friend who is in this journey with you. You are not alone. Feel free to reach out. There is always hope.

Dorothy1
Community Member

Dear Comettail,

This must be really difficult for you being completely dragged down by anxiety and depression. I completely understand when you say it is taking control of your life, I know it does.

You said that you have been diagnosed with depression and anxiety, are you regularly seeing a therapist to deal with these issues? Believe me, you can take control of your life again and maybe all you need is a little bit of help from a counsellor or a psychologist.

Gp1111 also gave you great advise! Meditation, or mindfulness methods could maybe help you to relax and think about what is happening in the present. Breathing could also help you with your attacks.

All the best

Dot

Comettail
Community Member
Hi thank you, i broke down the other night, my nerves shot, i have no friends, seven older kids but its like im a stranger to them now its gone on like this for five yrs one lives across the road from me and i see him when i go into hospital, i dont see the grandkids either, i have lost confidance in walking so i dont go there its a long story. They live with the owner of the house and call her nan my sons kids know her as that now, i use to go over she would single me out and give me dager looks so i stopped it was like i had no rights there she calls my kids her family none of them come here now so i have no one ecept my young boy that lives here he has adopted me as his mum his sister is my youngest godmother so his a friend of the family. I been told im greaving by a psychiatrist for the loss of my family.

That must be very difficult Comettail,

I cannot even start to imagine what it must be like to experience what you are going through. I agree with your psychiatrist,we do not just grieve over diseased loved ones. Unfortunately you cannot control other people's behaviours 😞 Your family might realise one day who their real family is!

Making friends can be difficult if you cannot move to places, maybe there are other sorts of forums you could visit as well as this one that could put you in contact with other people who have the same interests as you? Have you looked for something like that? Like a virtual book club or something? I am sure you could make friends that way, that would be very beneficial for you to have some social interactions.

All the best

Dot