FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Sudden Increase Of New Posters

Struggler
Community Member
Hi Everyone

Am I imagining it or not?  There seems to be a spike in new posters on BB.  So many troubled souls!  Does it have to do with gloomy winter?  I know my depression is made worse by short day, lack of sunlight, wet and cold condition that is the winter season.  

Struggler

17 Replies 17

AGrace
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Christopher, 

Thanks for sharing the data. Its comforting to know that behind all those statistics are genuine people seeking help and sharing experiences.  I just wondered whether numbers had also increased for the contact line and web chat? It seems often that we find ourselves referring people to these platforms. It would be great to hear that some posters are taking on the suggestions and reaching out for additional support. 

No doubt you guys are keeping extremely busy:)

Warmest Regards

AGrace

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi AGrace,

Yes, demand on these services is increasing, thankfully we were able to expand our web chat hours recently from 3pm til midnight, whereas previously we had been operating from 4pm til 10.  The phone line is available 24 hours.

Struggler
Community Member
Hi all

I notice that many new people come here to make one post, then go away and do not return.  They properly do not expect a reply.  If only they come back and check again, they'll find some uplifting and practical advice from posters with rich experience.

I also notice on rare occasion that sometimes a new poster's post receives no reply.  Reading the old posts, it is clear that the writers are desperate and really need a response.  

I make sure new posts are replied to, before it gets pushed back to page two and are forgotten about.  All posts are important so I tend to reply to posts that receive only small response instead of congregating in the popular threads.  

What do others think? 

Struggler

JessF
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hello Struggler, yes I know what you mean, I try and do the same thing because i notice there are regulars here who seem to always get replies when they post but new people who come on in a very desperate state and no-one talks to them. It reminds me of being at school and coming into a room where everyone knows each other and is already talking and you feel like you're on your own. 

Struggler
Community Member
Hi Neal

Thank your for commenting on this thread.  As always, you are articulate, eloquent and to the point. 

I agree that the more regular posters are here, the better.  It provides a broad range of experience from different walks of life.  Life is short and one's experience is limited as an individual.  Collectively, a world of experience can be shared among us and benefit.  

Struggler

Beyond Blue is a fantastic place...it's changed my life!

Happy days ahead 🙂

Danny

Struggler
Community Member
Hi Geoff

You did not have a PC ten years ago? Really?

Internet is amazing isn't it?  It allows us to reach out to the world.  For many of us,  internet is the only means of outside contact.  

I knew about this site some time ago but was not aware there is a forum where people can interact with each other.  There are other similar sites but without forum like this one.   I believe this forum was only launched a year ago.  If so, it has grown immensely in a short period of time.  BB might have to hire more moderators!

Struggler

dear Struggler, my wife always said for me to get one, but at that stage I was way off and far too depressed to even consider buying one, simply because I would have had to learn on how to use it, and I was beyond that, so I bought one when I moved into my new house, and at that stage I was slowly overcoming my depression.

I also agree that there are many people who do post just once and then leave, however they can leave us with a provocative comment which is sad. L Geoff. x