FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Sudden Increase Of New Posters

Struggler
Community Member
Hi Everyone

Am I imagining it or not?  There seems to be a spike in new posters on BB.  So many troubled souls!  Does it have to do with gloomy winter?  I know my depression is made worse by short day, lack of sunlight, wet and cold condition that is the winter season.  

Struggler

17 Replies 17

--Danny--
Community Member

Hi struggler, I'm a newbie..only been on BB for 2 weeks or so...

Danny

Neil_1
Community Member

Hi Struggler (and Danny)

I don't think you're imagining it - I think it's definitely real.  There is an influx of newbies coming on board.

The reasons could be many and the season is definitely one of them I would think.

But the community is becoming more and more aware of this illness;   media is bringing more attention to it (and everyone of these things is a GREAT thing).

I know it is sad and unfortunate that there are so many wonderful people who are being affected by this - but I believe for every person that arrives here as a new person, I would imagine that say, this time a year ago, they may not have done so.  They may have just gone about how they were feeling and continue to do it tough with no further or outside assistance.  And you suggested quite rightly Struggler;  there ARE so many troubled souls.

But what I really believe to be super important is for these lovely people (IF) they can somehow manage to stay here with us - while we provide as much support and guidance to them - THEN, they might just feel that they may wish to stay on for a while.

And I know in the last couple of months we've had a number of "newbies" who have stayed on and are now being regular posters to the site:   case in point, yourself Struggler AND Danny - and I could list half a dozen more as well.  And this is such a wonderful thing, but it's so much more than that.  It's highly IMPORTANT - for without regular posters here, this site would be a 'ghost site with tumbleweeds blowing across your monitor'.  Ok, highly exaggerated there, but you know what I mean.

The more people we can gain as being regular posters, WOW, the better this site will be become.  Because as more people post here for the first time, it's important that they are greeted and met and given support;  and the more people around the share the load, the better.

Wowee, I sure jumped on a soap box there;  sorry about that.  But simple post/thread created by you Struggler, and I've turned it into somekind of marathon.  Sorry about that.

Neil

Cunno
Community Member
With the very raw issues that were, and still are, facing me, I didn't know who else to turn to. It was only through the media that I knew of BB - never in a million years did I ever think that I was going to need it's services but I didn't know who else to turn to. I always considered myself strong enough mentally to cope with things. And everyone who has replied to my post has been fantastic. It has certainly made me feel better about myself and I know that when I come through this period in my life, I will have everyone on here to thank for making me a better person and to perhaps understand a little as to why things have happened the way they have.

AGrace
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Well said Cunno.

Neil & Struggler you're right, the community appears to be growing, and yes that might mean there are more troubled souls. It also means that more people are reaching out for help. Whether they be affected by the symptoms of mental illness or caring for someone who is, its comforting to know they are holding onto HOPE and reaching out for support.

One day the newbies will be sharing advice rather than seeking it and that is something to be cherished and for Beyondblue to be proud of.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Struggler, if only I knew of this site 10 years ago or perhaps longer, I would have been asking for help, but I didn't have a pc, nor did I know about this site/

I think the reason we have more new people is because of a couple of reasons, either other people have suggested it and/or the advertising in the papers, clinics by BB explaining to people what depression is, especially on the TV, as this has made a great difference.

There are posts that are read by so many people but they don't post a comment, because they are a bit scared to do so, but as time goes on they decide that their depression needs to be addressed, and that's when they post a comment.

There is no harm in doing so, because this is a site where all of us have or still have depression, so whatever they want to say to us actually means that we know exactly where they stand, so it's not a surprise to us at all.

So I do hope that these people decide to ask for help. L Geoff .x

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi everyone,

This month is shaping up to be our busiest in terms of post numbers since our website was relaunched in April last year.  The traffic on the forums has increased four-fold over the last twelve months, which is a testament to the generosity of all our members in sharing their own stories and in responding to others.  New people coming onto the site can see all the great support being given and that makes it easier to reach out. So thank you all!

--Danny--
Community Member

Hi Neil, BB has done me the world of good! I've quit drinking alcohol since I started up on BB! So much support & guidance from everyone! One of the main things that has helped is the fact I don't want to come on BB..& post on a thread that I submitted to alcohol...I don't want to let u guys down! My family & friends are benefiting...more quality time spent with them :)....Thanks everyone for your support.

Danny

Jo3
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Well done Dan on you quitting drinking alcohol.  That's fantastic.

You are not letting us down at all, you have come on here for support and you have given so much support to me and others, well done Dan!!!

Chris, it's great to see so many more people on here, it's a testament of how amazing BB is and all the on line forum members - ordinary Australians battling a mental illness but giving advice, support and love to each one of us with no judgement.

I am so glad to be part of this forum.

Jo

Struggler
Community Member
Hi Everyone   

Thanks for the responses.  Good to know I was not imagining things.    

Danny83 & Cunno, 

It is so pleasing to know that this forum has helped you so much in such a short time.  I hope you stay with us and share your experience as well as replying to new posters so they too will benefit as you do.   Of course only if you feel up to it.    

Struggler