FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Struggling after covid to re-enter society, find a job and interact with people again.

Kngy
Community Member

Hello beyond blue, I'm new to this. I'm 31 and I've been dealing with some issues for a long time. I've never realy felt comfortable talking about this with anyone and I'm still not really. But I want to share, so here I am.

I moved to a new state/city a few months before covid. Being stuck, isolated and on my own was hard at the start but it ended up being very freeing. Ive spent almost three years isolating myself from pretty much all social contact besides a few calls a month from my mum. This isolation has been comfortable and less stressful. I realise this is probably not a healthy mindset, but it is how I feel. But it cant last forever and I've been struggling recently (the last year) to re-enter society, find a job and interact with people again.

At first I thought the isolation had worsened my anxiety issues. But i think its always been this bad and i was just constantly forced to live with it. Back home even though I was surrounded by friends and family I was still depressed, especially when I was alone with my thoughts.

I ended up rambling alot more after this point, going into topics that might be trigerring. so I'll summarise it for the intro.

My childhood was bad and I have been dealing with depression and anxiety for as long as I can remember. I've never sought help even at my lowest moments. I wish had and I hope i will. God helps those who help themselves which means nothing to those who feel helpless. Even as I write this I've been up all night unable to sleep becuase I have an interview at 2pm and its 7 am now. I will either go to the interview dead tired or skip it entirely and sleep. Its 50/50 right now.

1 Reply 1

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Kngy,

Thank you for sharing your story, I can tell it's so hard for you. However, coming here and share your feeling is already a big step forward. Do you feel a little better?

Don't feel guilty, it's not your fault at all. Your feeling of helpless is because of your mental illness, it's not you. It's the environment you grew up. I can imagine how hard it is for you to step out of the shadows of the past on your own. 

From my understanding you are not just at the stage of re-enter society, you are trying to find the purpose of life. It won't be an easy journey and I believe you need help. Can I ask you some questions? Do you think there's someone who can be your life coach? Do you find yourself able to sit down calmly and read some books?Have you considered of seeking professional support, for example, seeing a psychologist?

Hope everything will be better.

Mark