FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Small Introduction

AnxiousAussie11
Community Member

Hi all, new user here!

I decided to sign up to these forums after my previously diagnosed health anxiety decided to pay me another visit. Several years ago I was put on anti-anxiety medicine by a doctor  which I took for 3 or so years - I weened off these back in March this year as I really did not like how dull they made me feel. Everything was going well until the past couple of weeks. I typically experience physical symptoms, especially tight chest/air hunger/shortness of breath which in turn makes me more anxious - vicious cycle! When I am able to keep myself distracted so I am not focusing on my breathing I generally feel good, but that sometimes prove to be a difficult task.

I am not entirely sure where else to go from here at this stage, but figured it's a start.

3 Replies 3

Tay100
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi AnxiousAussie11

Thanks for popping by, we appreciate you sharing your story about your anxiety- distracting ourselves in the moment can prove difficult. You can use the forum to share more of your story, learn how to access resources and read about experiences that other's have had and how they deal with their own 'vicious cycles.' Look forward to hearing from you!

Tay100

Thanks for the reply 😄
Spent the rest of yesterday reading other peoples stories and some of the resources, it does help to know we aren't alone in what we are experiencing.

Part of my into I forgot to mention was my wife and I recently had our first child, 3 months old on Monday and a healthy little man - but I think this might have been the catalyst for triggering my anxiety again, constantly worrying/thinking about worst case scenarios! Thankfully I can still participate in my sport so this provides a release a few days a week - still trying to get through it without medication this time will be the real hurdle.

Hi AnxiousAussie11

Ahh yes, I can see how new fatherhood can do that- would a new Dads/parenting group be a source of comfort and utility for you? Sports is a great place to let off steam- as can having a drink with mates- is this something you do to?

Tay100