FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Same old feeling

ozi
Community Member

Hi, I’m new to all of this. I’ve been struggling for about 7 or 8 months now. I only told my wife last night. It took me a good 5months to work up the courage to tell her, she is now pushing hard for me to get help, which I want but not sure what direction to go. It took me so long to tell her I’m not sure I’m ready to talk to someone yet.

Do I go to a doctor first, do I go see a psychologist first. I’m not sure what to do.

Any advice would be great.

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hi ozi,  Welcome to the forums, we are so glad that you've taken a big step in sharing here. We hope you find some comfort in sharing here, and in hearing from the lovely community members, many of whom will be able to relate to what you’ve been through.   If you ever want to talk this through with one of the Beyond Blue counsellors, feel free to give us a call on 1300 22 4636, or reach out through Online Chat here.   Thank you for sharing this and giving this community a chance to offer you their understanding and advice. We’re here to listen and offer support, and you never know how your story might help someone else.   Kind regards,   Sophie M 

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi ozi,

Welcome. First of all, I am sorry you have been feeling this way for a while, but congratulations for taking the first big step - telling someone and asking for help, it takes a lot of courage to do this as you said. Now, your wife only cares for you and wants you to be happy, so let her help you. You don't need to do this alone. It would be easier to see a doctor first, you can even take your wife with you to the appointment if you need some support - up to you. Your doctor will point you in the right direction, and a psychologist might be the right fit for you and could really help. There is no shame in getting help, it is what you need to feel better and get out of your struggle.

I hope things improve soon,

Jaz xx