FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Rough moments

RainbowCuddle
Community Member

Hi there,

The past month has been rough as ! My car needed repairing in late May and is finally being attended to so me and my 2 kids have relied on walking, public transport and putting things on hold. I have had to ask for help for lifts from friends but not very often because I am a people pleaser and absolutely hate asking for help.

My mobile phone stopped charging and I am still waiting for Telstra to send a replacement yet a friend lent me her broken screen one in the meantime. I lost contacts and pics but at least I can still communicate if need be, especially with my parents that live overseas.

I also broke one of the arms off my prescription glasses so relying on daily disposable contact lenses and an old pair that isn't the right prescription.

I also contracted Covid19 after being so careful with my hygiene and what I do. This is Day 5.

I am due to go back to work next month after mat leave but I am not ready with all this ****. I have a GP appointment tomorrow over the phone.

I have suffered anxiety and depression for a while now. I feel I need some light at the end of the tunnel.

I will go back to my exercises and walks after this isolation period is over.

Any advice?

4 Replies 4

livi_mivi
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey RainbowCuddle,

That indeed sounds like a really rough patch that you are going through right now. I'm sorry to hear that you have had to deal with all of this stress in a short period of time!

I can only understand how hard it might be to juggle all of this and the thought of going back to work, I think it's super important that you are prepared in all areas, especially those concerned with mental and physical health. It's great that you are taking the steps to getting back to it. But it is also okay if you feel that you might not be prepared for it just yet. Have you discussed your concerns and situation with your workplace? There might be ways in which they might be able to support your return better and that communication can allow you to express your needs too.

Wishing you all the best.

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dear RainbowCuddle,

You have been going through so much the past month and I’m so sorry this is happening to you...I am pleased that you stepped out of your comfort zone and asked for help from your friends...Well done with doing that...

I’m wondering if you could talk to your Dr. at your appointment tomorrow about how your anxiety and depression is compacting on your mental health....and how you feel inside of yourself not ready to resume work...maybe your Dr could help you with a mental health care plan....to help you manage your anxiety and depression more easily....

We are all here for you, to help support you the best we can..

My kind thoughts with my care Dear RainbowCuddle...

Grandy

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi RainbowCuddle,

Welcome and thanks for sharing your story.

I think it's very right to see your GP and talk about your challenge. When you feel mentally not ready to go back to work, maybe it's better to extend your mat leave a bit. With your GP's letter and your explanation, your company will understand and support you.

You need emotional support, talk to your family and best friends, trust me they won't feel you're bringing trouble, they will be more than happy to help.

As you've been paying so much attention to your kids, sometimes you need to move your focus back to yourself, which means, having a quality daily life, eating healthy food, doing exercise in nature, having enough sleep, finding your hobbies back, enjoying small moments, etc.

Everything will be better.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello RainbowCuddle, there's an old saying 'when it rains it pours', and how sorry this has happened to you, but eventually when this happens, try and appreciate anything small that can be your base for moving forward, it may not be large, because these invariably happen straight away, so what it takes is to slowly build on what you feel is positive.

We hope this will happen with you and please let us know.

Geoff.