FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Rodlin1

Rodlin
Community Member
First time posting on this forum I have been struggling with health anxiety for about 3 years now after a short health scare but as like many others every time I have an ache or have to do test I think the worst which has affected my work and personal life I find it hard to concentrate because my mind is only thinking of one thing I lack motivation and find it hard to make future plans my family sort of understand because I know it's affecting them.
12 Replies 12

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hello and welcome tot the forum.

this is a safe place to chat - the people here are supportive and non-judgemental.

there are others on the forums here with similar issues. If you do a google search for

beyond blue health anxiety

you will find links to others stories and you can read what they have done and the replies they would have received. For example ...

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/anxiety/severe-health-anxiety-/page/4

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

hey rodlin1,

welcome! i am sorry you have been experiencing this. i have been through some health issues too, which has given me medical trauma (possibly PTSD), and whilst i do not have health anxiety as such, i still worry about any minor thing as i do not want anymore medical trauma. so i am here to say you are not alone and i am here to talk.

have you seen your doctor and/or a psychologist about this? i found it really helpful in dealing with my GAD (anxiety) - this could be an option for you.

i hope things improve soon,

jaz xx

Rodlin
Community Member
Thanks Jaz28 I have seen my doctor and do have a referral to see a psychologist but just have to wait to see them . I appreciate that there is someone out there l can talk to who understands these situations thanks rodiin1

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Rodlin,

Wellcome to our forums!

Im sorry you are feeling this way.

I understand health anxiety is hard to deal with it can be exhausting.

I have a lived experience of health anxiety mine became severe and my anxiety turned to other things like intrusive thoughts that terrified me.

I seeked professional help for what I was experiencing I was diagnosed with OCD I’ve now recovered thanks to the help I received.

Im glad you are seeing a psychologist in regard to the way you are feeling…

Your not alone and there is hope you can recover.

Hi Petal22 since my first post it's good to know there are other people out there who are experiencing the same thing and i don't feel so alone. Thanks for your thoughts

Rodlin
Community Member
Thought I would post today as I am feeling a bit down I have a sore throat and my mind is racing thinking the worst hopefully I will get through is but that day seems a long time away.

Hi Rodlin,

I understand it’s hard to deal with but you will get through the day………. Stay positive and keep persevering.

Try to keep busy even if it’s around the house……… write a list of the things you want to do and tick them off the list as you go through it……. Keep your attention on the task and not what’s going on in your mind.

What we give attention to we give power to ……

Hang in there 💪

Hi just had my first pyshologist appointment went well but still a long way to go but here's hoping things can improve

Well done that’s great Rodlin thanks for letting me know…… I’m glad it went well for you…

Theres definitely hope for you, your on the right track just keep it up.

The road can seem long at times, but keep persevering you will get there.