FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Really worried about my little dog

Jojo100
Community Member

Hi everyone I wasn’t sure which section to put this post so hope here is okay.

My little dog (Poppy) had an ultrasound today which has shown enlargement of her heart, a leaky valve and basically now has canine congestive heart failure. She has been put on two medications which hopefully will help her symptoms, but I’m really worried I’m going to lose her.

Does anyone else have a dog with similar symptoms and, if so, what has the outcome been?

Thank you Jojo

39 Replies 39

keets97
Community Member

Hi Jojo!

that is amazing news!!! So so happy for you and Poppy!

Please give her a massive hug from me! She sounds like a very strong, incredible pup!! 🥰

Keets x

Hanna3
Community Member

Hi jojo,

I just wondered how Poppy is doing? I hope she's feeling good and still improving. Would love to hear how she is! Pats and hugs from me and little Sam here. oxoxoxo

Jojo100
Community Member

Hi Hanna

Poppy is going really well, thanks for asking. She is back to her usual self and you would hardly know there is anything wrong with her. It’s amazing what medication can do!

Pats and cuddles to Sam 🤗

Jojo

Hanna3
Community Member

Hi jojo

That's great news after you were so worried! I'm so pleased to hear that! 🙂🐾

Jojo100
Community Member

Hi everyone

Just a quick update on Poppy. She was at the vet today and is losing weight which is a bit of a worry (this is despite eating normally).

A few weeks ago she was 3.3kg and today she is 2.8kg. The vet told me that because of her illness she is likely to lose condition.

Her medication dose has been increased today so I am hopeful that will make a difference. She is only little and can’t afford to keep losing weight so I can’t help but be concerned.

Hope everyone else is going well.

Jojo

Hanna3
Community Member

Hi jojo

Sorry to hear you are worried about Poppy again. Did the vet offer any suggestions such as more regular smaller meals or foods that Poppy likes? Did the vet say if the weight loss is normal and if it will continue or just stabilise?

Is there something she loves that you can tempt her with to encourage her to eat? When does the vet want to see her again?

I can imagine with a heart condition some weight loss could be normal.

How does Poppy seem otherwise?

Sending best wishes 🐕🐾

Jojo100
Community Member

Hi Hanna

Thanks for your reply. Poppy doesn’t need tempting to eat as her appetite is normal. I’m going to feed her twice a day atm to see if she can regain some weight. The vet wants to see her again next week and reassess her then.

Apart from the weight loss she is back to her usual playful self. So the medication is definitely working. I’m hopeful the increase in dose will help even more.

Pats & hugs to Sam

Jojo

Hanna3
Community Member
That sounds positive jojo! Let us know how you go with the vet next visit! Pats to Poppy! 👍🐶

Jojo100
Community Member

Hi Hanna

Poppy has been to the vet again. She has gained a little weight and is now 2.9kg (we had to use the cat scales as they are a bit more sensitive!).

The vet is very happy with her, but wants to weigh her fortnightly just to make sure she’s not losing weight. He listened to her heart and chest which he was also pleased with.

So I’m really relieved Poppy is doing well on the medication and will continue to give her some lunch until she regains a bit more weight.

Best wishes Jojo 🐾😊

Hanna3
Community Member

Hi jojo,

Glad to hear little Poppy is doing so well! That must be a huge relief for you. Great news! Cheers, and pats to Poppy from little Sam!