FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Overwhelmed with the levels of disruption in the world right now

Rach8
Community Member

Hello everyone,

I am new to this platform, but I'm in need of seeking some support or hearing from people who understand and are in a similar situation.

There is not much to say other than that lockdown has made its impact - It is making retaining connections will close relationships even harder, there is only so much a call, text or occasional face time can do to stay in a strong relationship with someone without having a physical interaction.

On top of the stress of keeping valuable relationships that are not at risk, is the stress of covid 19 itself. Although the case numbers are not alarming where I am, it's still scary to think about the repercussions if I, my family, friends or colleagues at work get it.

I can't fathom what is happening in Afghanistan right now, my mum talks about the threats it may impose on other countries including our own (things like suicide bombers and terrorist attacks in the future) as well as a boyfriend who talks about how influential this event may be. Although I have empathy for the entire situation, I am already stressed as it is, so hearing another layer of something else is very overwhelming and I don't really want to think about it. I know this probably is coming across as bad.

Although most of my university studies were online before the lockdown, now that all my time is at home in the studying realm. I have found it so hard to maintain my motivation. I can't stit a take in the information of a two-hour lecture or convince myself to be engaged with the classes. My assignments have been less to the last minute which is stressful and seeking assistance with work i don't understand has proven to not be easy.

Similarly, my drive to work out has been plumiting, I know this is having an impact on my self-esteem and is decreasing my sense of confidence in myself. With so much to do and the level of stress, it's not only making me not want to work out (although I should), it's also making me stress eat which doesn't make any situation better.

Any support or sharing of stories will be appreciated. Thank you ❤️

4 Replies 4

HappyHelper88
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Rach8, Thankyou for sharing and welcome to the forum.

i can definetly relate to how you are feeling as there is so much happening in the world, my life has been turned upside and i cant help but think this is the new normal.....its become a scary world to me./

My story is that i lost my job through covid many times, had some financial difficulties and didnt get to see my family for 1 year even when my dad went in for brain surgery.
i also feel very scared about whats happening in the world hearing so many mixed messages on the media and from friends/family about the covid risks and many opinions on the vaccine i just dont know what to believe there is so much information going around. I have also heard mixed messages about the war in Afghanistan and the threat on other countries.......I fear for the future and i also lack motivation to do anything.. What does the future hold???

Rishie
Community Member
Hi Rach8
yes, this world is really crazy right now, all the natural disasters and the mess in Afghanistan and covid and everything. I don't know how I'd be coping if I didn't have my faith, my best friend, my little doggy and a few other things that help me. My Mum and I don't talk very often, she's in Sydney and I live in a little country town in northern NSW, but she always wants to talk about how bad covid is, which it is of course and I'm glad she can talk to me, but it isn't helping my depression any.

As for me, well I've always been a homebody, I'm a very shy introvert with social anxiety so staying home usually works for me, but there are a few things I do each week which brightened up my week, like going to Church on Sunday, Choir on Monday night, Bible study on thursday and writers group every second Friday. Our church has online things and that's great, but it's not the same. I'm really thankful that someone comes once a week and takes me grocery shopping, I'm blind and need assistance, but that's my one outing a week. I'm trying to count my blessings, but the depression is growing deeper. One positive thing is that I've written more poetry in the last 2 weeks than I have for ages. Focusing on the positives is one of the good things we can do. I can't imagine how hard it must be for you trying to study in the midst of all this mess. I know it's hard when we lack the motivation to do the things we need to do. I haven't exercised enough lately either, I have an exercise bike, so I have no excuse.

I hope you find ways to cope with things. There are some really great people here who will be here if you need to talk or need a little encouragement.
Take care.

SnowyRiver
Community Member

Hi Rach8,

thanks so much for being so brave to be so truthful. It takes alot of guts to pour your heart out.

I don't know if this helps but I'm feeling exactly the same in everything you said. Especially the other depressing stuff on the news and a general lack of motivation.

What course are you studying at uni ? I'm doing one on Dementia through the university of Tasmania

Hi Rishie,

I can't put into words how much your post helped me. I am a home body anf introvert as well but have a few things including my faith based activities such as Church that I used to physically attend each Sunday. Just reading your post has taken a massive weight off my shoulders so thanks so much. Stay strong. We will get through this together 🙂