FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Out of control

mandajane
Community Member
Hi my first time here and I’m struggling with panic at present. Just wanted to touch base with people that know how it feels. Thank you
12 Replies 12

Ladyhawke1
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Mandajane,

Thanks for making contact with the forums. I think you'll find many people here are experiencing high levels of anxiety and feelings of panic, particularly as many of us are in lockdown and have been for 11 weeks (in NSW). I have clinical depression and anxiety, Bipolar 2, BPD and ADD. I've been experiencing high levels of anxiety and periods of panic for the past two weeks. I've found guided relaxation and meditation sessions very helpful and there are some excellent resources on YouTube. Also anything which diverts my attention - drawing, painting, crafts, music - anything which breaks the cycle of internal dialogue - is useful. I enjoy writing a great deal and often spend quite a bit of time journaling - writing how I'm feeling is most useful. If you've not journals before, again YouTube has some excellent resources.

I don't know if you're in lockdown, but.this is a particularly difficult time for all. I'm quite sure you'll receive a number of responses from others who are experiencing high levels of anxiety and panic. If you're feeling overwhelmed, try chatting with one of the professionals here at Beyond Blue. I've done so in the past and found them very supportive and kind. Often the act of expressing how you're feeling to a professional can help to alleviate or lessen negative feelings.

Best wishes and I'm here if you wish to chat further. L.H.

Thank you for replying. I feel so stupid because I know it will pass but in the midst of it I feel so scared and alone. I do lots of craft and have a dog and chickens to talk to just every now and then it creeps up on me. Thank you again

Hi again,

No need to feel stupid at all. I and many others on this forum have similar feelings to you - you aren't alone, I can assure you.

L.H.

Hi Ladyhawke,1,

Wellcome to our forums!

Sorry you have been this way.

I understand panic I also went through this it was very distressing……

I was diagnosed with severe anxiety OCD….. I’m not saying you have this condition……. in my experience panic accompanied this condition I have now recovered from this condition thanks to the help of health professionals….

Have you been able to speak to your gp about the way you have been feeling? You could do a mental health plan together this will enable you to see a psychologist….. a psychologist can help with many strategies to help you……

You aren’t alone, many people suffer with this but the good news is you can learn how to manage it with the correct help……..

Im here to chat

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Mandajane,

It's good to have you here. I'm new too.

I used to have a lot of stress in past many years, the reasons were changing from one to another. Work pressure, family relation, new environment adaptation, financial challenge, how to balance being a good father/husband and being myself... I started to feel more fulfilled, found more confidence after realizing where my happiness really comes from.

Would you like to share your story? We'd love to listen to.

Warmly,

Mark

Sorry….. Hi mandajane

Ladyhawke1
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Petal22,

Many thanks for your concern. Yes, I've been in therapy with a psychiatrist for more than two decades to address my issues. I think the lockdown is affecting everyone on some level and I'm very happy to share my experiences with others to let them know they're not alone in how they're feeling, particularly during this difficult time.

Thanks once again. L.H.

Ladyhawke1
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Petal22,

Bit of confusion - I just realised your comments were directed to "mandajane".

Hi Ladyhawke,

Thats ok, my mistake…..

Thats great that you are currently seeing a psychiatrist……I hope they have been helpful for you…

Thank you for sharing your experiences……

I also find guided meditation helpful, I believe meditation was one of the things that got me over the line with my recovery…..

😊