Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Oppositional Defiance Disorder ~ Child

Community Member


My 10 year old daughter's therapist says she is exhibiting oppositional defiance disorder. I have tried the private pathway but all paediatric specialists and psychologists are booked out until 2022. I have CAMHS appointment for her in December this year. Is there any other pathway that I can use to get an earlier appointment anywhere, be it private or public? I have rung so many paediatric specialists~ everyone is not taking new patients or the earliest appointment is April 2022. My daughter is violent and I was told may need medication to balance her neurotransmitters. So does that mean I find a psychiatrist instead of a psychologist as they can prescribe medication? Which specialist should I be requesting an appointment with? Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.


4 Replies 4

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Anya,

Welcome to the forum. It must be very hard for you as a mother.

The resources you mentioned are limited indeed, not to mention everything is slowed down due to the pandemic.

Have you tried to call Beyondblue hotline? They may have some good resources to recommend or some good suggestions.

Hopefully you don't have to wait too long and your daughter will get better.



Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hello Anya, and a warm welcome to the site.

This must be difficult to know what to do and how you can handle this situation as unexpected behaviour may happen on the spur of the moment as you won't be able to anticipate what sort of reaction your daughter will perform, it may not be how she has reacted before.

A psychiatrist can prescribe medication, psychologists can't do this, but your doctor can also give her the medication but may want the psychiatrist to counsel her first, then on their expertise decide what to give her.

There are a couple of options, and I'm not a doctor to mention this, but I can suggest, the kid's hospital if she was admitted would prescribe medication and monitor her, the other way for her to get counselling is to contact the Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800 who counsel people from the age of 5 to 25 years, and appropriate people who talk with young kids would be addressed to talk with her.

These may fill in the time between now and April 22, but would really like to see what you think.

Best wishes.


Community Champion
Community Champion


welcome to you and thanks for reaching out. As a parent I can see how difficult and confusing it would be for you

Mark and Geoff have given supportive answers .

There is an organisation called Growing Early Minds that has a helpful website with support information and ideas for parents . If you google them you may find some of your questions answered. Plus you can ring them up and they will reply.

I found the site full of easy to understand information.
I hope it may help in some way.

Community Member

Hi Anya

So glad that I came upon your post. I have the exact same issue as you have. My daughter is 13 and I am battling to find a psychiatrist or pediatrician to take her on.

I feel like time is running out for us as this condition is extremely destructive and help extremely limited (and expensive). It does not seem as though anyone in my area (Sydney) specialises in ODD or is booked till 2023.