FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Nightmares

Gulgong
Community Member

Hi , name Boris! New here and don’t know if I should be posting here or at all! l am70 years old and living in a retirement village, with a lot of residents going through dementia.Of late been having many bad dreams waking in a lather of sweat and wondering if I am starting to join them,which scares me don’t know what to do.

11 Replies 11

Rabbit33
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi GulGong, (Boris),

You are always welcome to reach out and post to us here at Beyondblue. I'm glad you have!

I'm a strong believer in 'SOME' Dreams have a meaning in your waking life. But I also don't believe this always to be true. Have you tired looking up online what your dream could signify?
Sometimes that can help out, or put your mind at ease.

As far as being concerned as to whether your health is slowly deteriorating and possible onset dementia, Well, i'm no Doctor nor have any medical degree so I am unable to provide any answers on that. But i do suggest speaking with your trusted Doctor and see what he says?
Or maybe briefly speak with a nurse or care assistant at the retirement village and see if they can book you an appointment?

Wishing you all the best! Sending smiles 🙂

Guest5643
Community Member

Hi boris warm welcone

Everyone is welcome here. May i ask have you been having alot of anxiety around the same time these dreams night sweats started?

Hi again boris.

My apologies i forgot to ask have you been taking any new medication around the same time? Because ive read in the past that can be a side affect with some medications. Lynne

Helium said:

Hi again boris.

My apologies i forgot to ask have you been taking any new medication around the same time? Because ive read in the past that can be a side affect with some medications. Lynne

Hi Lynne just typed a reply but lost it when I find it will repost.

Hello Boris & Welcome to the BB forums.

Life can be so complex at times that we really don't know what's happening to ourselves. Being in a retirement village as you had mentioned with many there undergoing dementia can also an detrimental affect in your own personal well-being. Being in that type of environment is often very stressful.

There's a number of different types of dementia which a sufferer can ungo dramatic changes in their personality without being aware of it themselves. Those around them can also be subconsciously affected by their behaviours. Your thought patterns are sitting in your subconscience mind & often releases the stress in the form of dreams.

Seek out a good reputable psychologist who you can have a Talk Therapy with about your concerns. They will be able to explain into detail why these nightmares are happening to you.

No, Boris, I don't think you're in transition of going into dementia, yet it would be a very good idea for you to see your local Dr whom you feel comfortable discussing some of those issues. From there on the Dr may refer you to psychologist or just having a Talk with him/her.

Having a good face to face talk about your concerns will help you in so many ways.

Hope this post is of some comfort to you & wish you all the best.

Regards,

Amiella

paddyanne
Community Member
Dear Gulgong. Living in a facility such as the one you're in with other aged folks can be daunting. You have posted here with concerns about dementia. Just the word, Dementia conjures up all sorts of scary notions. Can I ask if you remember each meal, every day things that happen in your facility. Is there a particular outing that you can't recall going on? Is there someone who can arrange for you to be assessed for Dementia? The assessment is usually a casual conversation to gauge whether your recall is good. I myself am years younger, but I know with me unless I write some things down, I have difficulty. Do you have problems sometimes with confusion as to where you are going when you're walking around the village? Do you recall where you have been 5 minutes ago. Posting here as concise as your post was, I doubt you have Dementia as such, your recall may not be as sharp but I suggest to help you relax you might ask about being assessed. I have a client who is similar age. He has Dementia (confirmed by a Dr), brought on by a stroke. He can go shopping alone, but he does often become confused and will wander off.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Boris, and thanks for your comment.

I'm 64 and every night I seem to have a bad dream about my ex, silly dreams because when I think about them, they are so untrue, so when I wake up, I always talk about them only briefly, because if I prolong these thoughts I know in reality how untrue they are.

Remember if you are thinking about them and wake up knowing that you are good, then just dismiss them as being false, that's the strength you need to think positively and try not to think negative.

Please don't brew on these thoughts because that's not good, you are doing well, just talk about them to yourself in a positive way.

Hope to hear back from you.

Geoff.

Thanks Amiella, will talk to my GP

Amiella said:

Hello Boris & Welcome to the BB forums.

Life can be so complex at times that we really don't know what's happening to ourselves. Being in a retirement village as you had mentioned with many there undergoing dementia can also an detrimental affect in your own personal well-being. Being in that type of environment is often very stressful.

There's a number of different types of dementia which a sufferer can ungo dramatic changes in their personality without being aware of it themselves. Those around them can also be subconsciously affected by their behaviours. Your thought patterns are sitting in your subconscience mind & often releases the stress in the form of dreams.

Seek out a good reputable psychologist who you can have a Talk Therapy with about your concerns. They will be able to explain into detail why these nightmares are happening to you.

No, Boris, I don't think you're in transition of going into dementia, yet it would be a very good idea for you to see your local Dr whom you feel comfortable discussing some of those issues. From there on the Dr may refer you to psychologist or just having a Talk with him/her.

Having a good face to face talk about your concerns will help you in so many ways.

Hope this post is of some comfort to you & wish you all the best.

Regards,

Amiella