FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Newcomer intro

Aquamonkey
Community Member
Hi, I’ve joined here to find people I can relate to, that I hopefully find a way out of the mess I’m in mentally.
I’m depressed, have been for years. Going through a bit of a bad patch at the moment.
I feel dead inside. Have zero motivation. Hate leaving my house, and am full of anxiety.
Lastly, because of all this, I’m feeling like not living anymore. Haven’t got any ‘plans’ to end it just so you all know. I just want to find me again. I want to live again. Thanks for reading.
5 Replies 5

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hello and welcome to the forums.

I hope you do not mind if I ask some dumb questions ... ti will save me making suggestions that don't apply to you - do you see a psych* or counselor on a regular basis? have you thought about speaking with your GP about this?

sometimes just make it through the day is enough. And there are many people here who can relate to how you are feeling at the moment - at least to different degrees. To get through this period I would do some homework from my psychologist to find positives in the smallest things. Even getting out of bed was a positive.

do you want to talk about what happened this time?

Or perhaps you can tell me a little bit about yourself? Study? Work? Family?

if you want to talk, I am here.

Isabella_
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi there,

Thanks for opening up to us. We're all here to listen and support you, free of judgement. I hope you can consider this as a safe space to let your thoughts and feelings out. There will always be people here going through the same thing as you.

I feel the same in respect to hating leaving my house. I have severe social anxiety to the point where getting in the car feels dreadful, like an impending sense of doom. It gets to the point where it manifests into depression because I feel as though there shouldn't be a point to everything being so hard, even something as simple as leaving the house to go shopping.

Feelings wax and wane, there are rough patches and times where it's okay, but depression can be a constant. I'm really glad to hear that you want to find yourself and live again. How do you feel about taking the step to talk to your GP about it?

It can be frustrating to hear that suggestion, and the steps to getting help can feel dreadful and daunting. If you feel anything similar to that, you're always welcome to be open and honest about that. It's not often addressed. I'm curious to know your thoughts/feelings around those steps and hopefully give perspective as someone who has gone through therapy and medication and found it helpful for me.

Again, it's amazing to hear that you want to get better, and our community will always be here to support you through that.

I'd love to hear from you.

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello and a warm welcome 🙂

I am sad to hear you are going through a rough time. It is promising that you do want to "live again". And you will.

You will find here on the forums that you are not alone, but also that there is a way out and a way to feel better.

A good place to start might be to see your GP and see a psychologist in order to help you with your depression. You can also call the BeyondBlue hotline in the meantime.

Best wishes,

Jaz.

Banksy92
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey Aquamonkey,

Welcome to the community and thanks for reaching out, I know it can be really difficult to do this when you're at your lowest. Did something happen to trigger you feeling so low recently?

Sometimes it can be helpful to share what's on our mind. I agree with the others in the thread, speaking with a GP or councillor may also be a really positive step towards rebuilding your mental wellbeing and get you out and living again like you want to be.

Feeling depressed is so draining isn't it? This week I experienced a really bad slump myself after an anxiety attack, it was like the anxiety used up all my energy and then all I could do for the rest of the day was lay down, I was feeling so low and tired.

Sometimes if I don't want to leave the house, it helps to set myself a small goal within the house to try and lift my mood - like doing some yoga, reading a chapter of a book or even just cleaning up a small area. Gives me a tiny boost and makes my day feel a little more successful.

What kind of things do you like to do to feel good?

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Aquamonkey,

Welcome to the community.

While fixing mental health challenges is a long journey, coming here is a good start.

I would suggest you to start with taking care yourself physically first. Are you still eating and sleeping normally? Do you suffer any physical illness? If you do I'd suggest you to see your GP and start with improving your physical wellness.

Of course mental and physical wellness is deeply connected and mutually impacted. You're more than welcome to share your stories here and you'll find that you'll have a lot of listeners and advisors, including people with similar lived experience. Do you have a family member or close friend to rely on? It's also important to be open to them and ask for support.

Warmly,

Mark