FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Newby

Jan_H
Community Member
Hi all
I'm a 44 year old mum to a 13 year old son and a 10 year old son. I have anxiety and depression (diagnosed 13 years ago after I got severe PND after my first son was born). My 10 year old has severe anxiety too. We moved to Australia a year ago. He has learning issues and his anxiety doesn't help. I'm wondering if there are any other parents on here who are in similar situations and where you get support in managing your own anxiety when your child struggles. Thanks so much!
3 Replies 3

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion
Hi Jan, welcome

Anxiety is a serious illness. When parents have anxiety it can often download to our children.

Anxiety is not easy to eliminate but it can be done. It,like many mental disorders, requires several forms of approach to maximise your chances of recovery.

If you lead the way then you'll benefit your sons with your techniques.

Please Google the following for further information

Beyondblue topic anxiety, how I eliminated it

Again, a warm welcome

TonyWK

missep123
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Jan H and a big warm welcome to the forums!

Although I haven't been in this situation myself, I wanted to reach out. We're definitely a non-judgemental and supportive bunch here.

I hope that someone does post that has been in a similar situation so you may see that you are not alone.

Thank you for being so brave and open to share.

Here for you!

mocha delight
Community Member
Hi jan h I’m not a parent but I have a learning disability, just on the autistic spectrum, have coeliac disease and have GORD (the autoimmune disease side of acid reflux) so I have a mix of things. My psychologist has told me I have depression, social anxiety and general anxiety although not diagnosed with anything officially yet.