FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Ehmel
Community Member

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the blue voices so am here to introduce myself. I am a mum, wife and psychology honours student. I found myself on this path after suffering a sudden and extreme PTSD attack after the birth of my second child. If it weren't for my husband advocating for me then, I don't know where I would be now. As well as finding out that I had been living with PTSD, undiagnosed for over 20 years, I learnt that my "quirks" were actually severe anxiety and OCD. I wasn't actually a high-achieving, leader type, I just operated out of fight or flight constantly making me a chronic people pleaser. There is a lot more to this story, but suffice to say, through this I felt called to study psychology, and I love it. I can not wait for the day I can help others and I hope that this will afford me the opportunity to do that in a meaningful way, as well as advocate for mental health by telling my story.

4 Replies 4

MaddieT
Community Member

Welcome,

So glad to hear that you have found a way to describe and identify your reactions/actions to the world around you. Really pleased to see that you have a supportive partner on this journey - that's a wonderful thing.

Know that this community is here for you if you ever find yourself needing more support, or tactics in dealing with things that may arise for you.

Enjoy your studies and keep believing in the power you have to help others.

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Ehmel,

Thank you for sharing your story! You are so strong. I am also a psychology honours student! How is your thesis going?

I am the same, after experiencing health issues, I am really passionate about improving mental health support for those with chronic/terminal illnesses, and that's why I am studying psychology now! Lived experience will definitely help in your studies! 

Please reach out if you need anything,

Jaz xx

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Ehmel,

Wellcome to our forums.

I understand how hard your journey has been.

Mine is quite similar but I didn’t have PTSD I was diagnosed with severe anxiety and OCD this condition hit me hard after the birth of my children.

I have since recovered and am very passionate about helping others through their mental health conditions and to give them hope.

I’m sure you will help many in the future.

Lived experience is invaluable I believe when it comes to helping others.

All the best.

Ehmel
Community Member

Hi Jaz,

My apologies for the VERY late reply; clearly an indicator of how my thesis is going. Head down, planning, creating and studying. All the very best on your journey and with your thesis too!
I'm glad that your lived experience has led you down this path too. There is so much to be said for truly understanding someone pain.