FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Newbie Member - Looking for Support with Social Anxiety/General Anxiety/Touching/Intimacy Phobia's.

BexStar1993
Community Member

Hey Humans!!

I'm a 26 year old Female, Originally from Sydney;

Currently living in Rural Western Australia. I've lived here for roughly 6 years now.
*The town I live in has approx 1/2 my year 12 class in the whole town & I enjoy the small community feeling as I was bullied heavily in my school years (walked the playgrounds Alone/was repeatedly Physically Harmed on a Regular Basis), I'm not so used to people being so caring. * As a result of my issues within school - I have severe Social Anxiety/General Anxiety. - I also have developed irrational phobias regarding Touching or Physical/Emotional Intimacy.

I live alone with my Beagle Puppy (8 years old), I enjoy the beach, music, & most sports however being situated where I am means there is little option to relish in any of the things I take enjoyment from.

* Looking to make new friends*
-Willing to offer support & too hopefully feel/receive support as well.

7 Replies 7

Summer Rose
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi BexStar1993

Welcome to bb and thanks for sharing your story.

So sorry to hear of your difficult experiences at school. I am a mum and unfortunately my daughter also experienced some bullying in high school, so I understand how hurtful and damaging bullying really is.

On a more positive note, sounds like you are now enjoying your life in WA in a caring community. Wonderful for you to be able to share it with your dog.

Really glad you posted. This is a truly unique community, kind, caring and supportive. No doubt you are a great addition!

Kind thoughts to you

Hey Summer;

How old is your daughter? Im sorry to hear she has experienced hard times at school as I did.

Which state do you guys live in?

thanks for replying and giving me someone to talk too. 🙂

Hi BexStar1993

Great to hear from you.

My daughter is 21, she fell ill with anxiety and OCD when she was 13. She was seriously ill and her peers and friends couldn't understand, which was at the heart of the bullying. It was a very dark and difficult time for a number of years.

We live in the east of Australia. We also have a dog, a miniature pinscher. Cutest little thing, under 2 kg but all dog. Fierce protector, loyal friend and very cheeky and playful. Scout has utterly captured my heart.

How are you going with your mental health? Is it hard to access treatment and support where you live?

Kind thoughts to you

AuroralNebula
Community Member

Hi Bexstar I am so new here aswell!

It's great to hear that you found somewhere you can be comfortable, I grew up in a rural town they're great places to live if you don't mind the lack of activities all that much and not easily bored.
I completely understand the difficulties of trying to deal with other people, especially the daunting task of being in any proximity of other people, the dense urban jungle or the city is not really a healthy place when you're terrified by your fellow humans daily!. I bet your dog is one of the greatest treasures in your life! I absolutely love when I get to see my mothers cats, no fear or hesitations, just grab and hug them until they get frustrated with me, but I just can't help it.

I'm sadden to hear that summer Rose, I truly do hope the good times out number the bad now, people often misunderstand so much.
I'm sure she'll have met or will meet some awesome people along the way, some of my friends did not understand why I didn't want to do a lot of things. But I met better friends in their place, who understood quickly that just because I don't like crowds, affection ect, and go all quiet or weird for unexplained reasons doesn't mean I didn't enjoy their company.
I really do hope she already found more understanding and patient people.

My mom has a shorthair and a longhair Chihuahua, these days their getting to be such old girls but they surprise us with how spree and excited they get anytime anyone pays attention, not to mention they love to try to ward off anything that comes near the house that they do not know. Mind you, the snippy little bark is not all that intimidating, but the hearts there and that's what counts, right?

I do hope that both your daughter and bex there are accomplishing the goals they both intend to get to!

Hi AuroraNebula (and wave to BexStar1993)

Welcome to bb and thank you so much for your kind words.

My daughter is amazing. She made it through the darkness and is now in recovery. She graduated high school, is studying at uni, has a great group of friends and has fallen in love. She still has bad days but can cope. I am one proud mum.

I think it's hard for some teens to really understand mental health issues, unless they have lived experience. There's just a lack of maturity and understanding, along with a quickness to judge that gets in the way. Thankfully both you and my girl have now found the right people to be your friends.

Your little dogs sound so cute. I could hear them barking as I read your words. Enjoy!

Kind thoughts to you

JeccaW
Community Member

Hello,

am

a Newbie here aswell

Am sorry that the bullies did that. It makes me mad hearing it I’ve dealt with them but with my eldest son.

how lucky to have such a Cute dog.

Take care

Aweekes
Community Member
Hi BexStar1993
Firstly, please don't feel that I am assuming or implying anything about you, I don't know you apart from the small amount of info in your post. I am 38 and have recovered from life long chronic drug addiction, I was drawn to reply after strongly identifying with the symptoms you listed. I lived many dark years imprisoned by my shame and stigmatized by the world. I had my son and that led to seeing a CBT, I didn't have much faith but after a time I learned who I really was and most importantly it wasn't the world against me, I was the one causing my own pain. I had a task to look in a mirror and tell my reflection good things but I couldn't even look at myself to begin with. After suffering abuse and feeling degraded you internalise the hatred and resentment. So try to love yourself, be gentle and find others who you feel validate you. You are amazing and you survived harsh torment in your vulnerable years,that makes you a strong woman who should look in the mirror loving what she sees.