FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Newbie Introduction

RedGalahAU
Community Member
About six months ago, I had open-heart surgery. I am now on the road to physical recovery. I am confused about whether I need any emotional recovery or not. I keep telling myself that I am so happy that my heart was fixed; however I don't seem to have the typical grieving feelings that might go with a life threating event. I am hoping that I can dig a bit deeper into any feelings I might be burying.
2 Replies 2

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Red galas,

I am so glad you are on the road to recovery after your surgery,

My partner had open heart surgery over ten years ago and a year after he was trekking I. The Himalayas around the size of Everest.

He did not grieve but was grateful he was well .

i can u derstand that you may worry but if you are following doctors guidelines for exercise and diet , you can enjoy the fact you are doing well.

I think everyone behaves different,y after life saving surgery.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Quirky

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi RedGalahAU,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for being here. I too am happy that the surgery went well and you're on the road to physical recovery.

I agree with Quirky in her reply to you. I think that everyone responds differently to life events and I don't think there's an 'expected norm'. Perhaps there is more talk about grief after heart surgery to try and normalise that sometimes there are feelings that do come up, but it's also okay that sometimes they don't.

Do you think there might be a possibility that with this event you don't need to grieve or actually have any buried feelings?

RT