FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

New

Casey_K
Community Member

Hi all

im new to this group. Hoping to find support from like minded people impacted by the WA Gov decision to not allow families to reunite over Christmas with inflexibility around border controls. This is difficult for me and I know as we near Christmas will only get worse…it’s been 2 years.

5 Replies 5

Summer Rose
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Casey K

Welcome to the bb forum.

I can certainly empathise with your frustrations and sadness. The distance forced upon families and between members because of Covid restrictions is really really tough. As I understand it, WA is still many months away from opening.

I’m really sorry for the pain this is causing you, particularly as your Christmas will be disrupted. I wonder if it would help to plan a Christmas celebration with others in the same boat, maybe there are neighbours or friends you could lean on?

I also wonder if it would help to plan a really special Easter reunion with your family? Really go big or different—it will give you something to plan and look forward to.

I know some of what you feel. My extended family is all overseas and I can only dream about the chance to see them again. I know the international border is now open but I want to wait to travel given the new complexities and potential for disruption.

I do a lot of FaceTime sessions and messaging on social media. It’s not the same but it helps. Nothing wrong with an old fashioned phone call or letter either.

We are planning a family reunion in 2023 and even though it’s a long time to wait it’s something to hang in to.

I guess what I’m saying is you are not alone with this issue. Hang in there.

Kind thoughts to you

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Casey,

Yes I know it's hard, very hard. But we're already at the end of the tunnel and can see the light. If the reunion can't happen by Xmas(definitely a huge regret) it should be possible in beginning of 2022. The worst period will pass soon.

Mark

Mk2692
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Casey,

Welcome to the forums and thanks for reaching out. Sorry to hear that you are going through this. The pandemic has caused a lot of uncertainty in our lives and now that most states are opening up, I understand how hard it must be not being able to travel and see family. We've all waited for the pandemic to come to an end and for things to go back to normal, but our new normal is quite uncertain. I understand that you might feel frustrated with the restrictions and it is more frustrating to watch border restrictions close to Christmas time. We have no control over this situation unfortunately but all we can control is our reaction to these changes. We can only stay hopeful and positive in this situation and things will eventually get better soon.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Casey, and know all the frustration these state government premiers are causing, but none of us know whether or not they will be changing their policies closer to Xmas, because not only you will be so annoyed by what has recently been said, but the public will be protesting as well as other politicians.

Maybe this is their way of trying to get more people vaccinated and a lot can change in 2 months.

Geoff.

Mum Chris
Community Member

Hi

its super hard on families and friends separated. I organised a zoom meeting with my family and it was good to talk face to face. Is that something you could organise

it really did help talking and seeing their faces.