FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

New Story-teller

bipolarbeauty
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi everyone

Just joined.

I am new to the forums, but I have known about the forums for some time. I live with Bipolar Disorder Type I. I was diagnosed with it last year. I am managing it moderately well, in terms of treatment - I'm on medications; and I love meditation, reading self-help guides, and the idea of recovery and maintaining recovery. I am not working and studying at the moment, and I hope to do both in the near-future. My previous diagnoses in the past include clinical depression, ADHD (Inattentive-type) and schizophrenia. I feel my newest and recent diagnosis resonates with me the most, and who I am as a person.

I have been through some pretty traumatic things in my life, as most people do, and I am trying to come to terms with it. Mine was so severe that I had to be hospitalised in the adult mental health ward numerous times. I have had bad relationships in the past, and my career never really felt it was going anywhere, no matter how much I tried. My coping mechanisms include a bunch of things, especially the use of my (favourite) visual art such as painting, self-talk, practicing gratefulness everyday and this may be a funny one, but social media as well. I share my story 'vulnerably' online in other social media platforms, and although I get a lot of response that I am brave for do such a thing for the greater good, I feel it's not a matter of inner strength at all.

10 Replies 10

BballJ
Community Member

Hi bipolarbeauty,

Firstly, welcome to the forums.

Well done for posting your story, I feel you have a lot of advice to give people with similar conditions as yours. You do sound very brave from what you have said and I like the fact you have a lot of coping mechanisms in place for your mental health concerns. I like the fact you also use social media platforms to get your story out there, you never know who might be suffering a read it and take some strength and hope from your post so that is great.

If you ever want to talk, feel free to post back on this thread as much as you like.

My best for you,

Jay

@Jay: Thank you.

Also, I would like to share a little achievement with you all. I do mental health and fashion blogging, and I shared in my recent interview with SBS about my diagnosis and living with Bipolar Disorder Type I. How the grace of God helped me push through. I talked about my journey of mental health recovery and my fight with it basically, and how I use it to change for the greater good. I would link it here, but links are not allowed, as we all know.

Anyway I told SBS to include links of support such as beyond blue, Headspace, MensLine Australia, Lifeline, and others as well at the end of the article. And I am glad they did.

I just wanted to share something positive with you all. And I feel empowered.

Hi bipolarbeauty,

Awesome stuff. Very positive. Please stick around the forums, I think people will take strength from any advice you can give them.

My best,

Jay

Hi Jay,

Definitely, I really want to help, that's why I'm here. And joined. But I am afraid of giving the wrong advice to people at times, or people taking it the wrong way so I have to be careful with how I respond. But being everything in text form, as there is no body language and tone in the posts we make, it may be inevitable for people to take it the wrong way sometimes. But I try this to not let me from posting.

Thanks for encouraging me though.

Suzi

Hi bipolarbeauty,

I can understand, I am hesitant sometimes as well to post thinking it may be the wrong advice, best thing I can say is just talk about your experiences with it, I find a lot of people just like having someone who can relate to them. You'll do great.

My best,

Jay

Hi Jay

I have to limit/decrease my posts on here, as I become too overwhelmed. I wish I could spend all day helping others relate to my story, but it can become a bit all 'too much'. So I have to learn and disconnect. But on the plus side, I am not quitting on the forums! Life and recovery just take a whole chunk of my time.

Suzi

Hi bipolarbeauty,

That's ok, this is all volunteer and you have no obligation to anyone on here to help them, when you do your advice will always be welcomed but yes, you have to focus on getting yourself 100% better, that is all that you can do.

My best,

Jay

bipolarbeauty
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi everyone who's reading this. I have been struggling mentally with my own issues. But recently my little sis who's 14 was admitted into the mental health unit and I have been stressed out, overwhelmed, tired of what's been happening. If anyone could give advice on how to encourage her to take medications, cause I believe she needs it. She's currently voluntary, and I would hate to see any force used on her if her symptoms persist. I try to teach her some of my coping mechanisms, such as mindfulness, art therapy, and I also try to stay positive for her. But I don't want to overwhelm her with too much information. She is so young, and has a long, long way to go. Thank you for reading.

Hi bipolarbeauty,

It is hard to get anyone to take medication if they do not want too, I think just explaining why she needs to take them and the benefit they will have for her is the key. Medication isn't for everybody I understand that, so you cannot force them but yeah just explaining in detail why they should is the best start I would think. Has the doctor tried to talk to her about taking them? Is she just not interested? You are doing everything right by the sounds of it and just supporting her as you know is the biggest thing and letting her know you are there for her regardless.

My best,

Jay