FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

New here

lonely_lady
Community Member
Hi I am a mature 60+ lady struggling to balance work and some newly diagnosed chronic health issues. This past few months I have also developed mild depression, anxiety and ptsd but feel that these are increasing in intensity. My GP is now recommending a mental health care plan and I have no idea what I need. I have no family or friends for support and my partner doesn't really 'get' what I need. Am reaching out to this group to make some connections and hopefully find some friends. I am the type of person who always appears positive, strong and capable and always there for others but am finding now when I need support, there is no one there for me. Reach out and say hello
10 Replies 10

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Welcome lonely lady to the forum and thanks for reaching out to make this post.
Hello I am in the same age group and I can relate to appearing positive amd helping others but it can be frustrating when you want some support and people say you are so string.

We are a friendly group here.

Is something you like doing or that gives you pleasure or makes you smile.
I like books , writing and walking.

Pleased to meet you.

Hi quirkywords, I do love to write, walk on the beach and just sit in nature. I can never find the time to just chill out as there is always so much that needs to be done just to exist. Think I've forgotten how to live and sooo tired it's hard to find the energy

hi and welcome.

just a quick post here so please excuse me for this...

• a mental health plan will allow you access to psychologists at a cheaper rate via medicare
  • between sessions I found post and chatting on the forums here helpful
  • depending on your IT/phone skills, you could also look at apps on your phone
  • otherwise reading about other persons stories can help normalise what you are feeling

As for your partner not getting it.... Is that because they don't believe in it? or don't know how to respond? If the latter then it is a case of listening to you and allowing to you to talk. Being able to talk to someone about what you are going through is much better than to suffer in silence.

I hope some of this helps. Listening to you.

Tim

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Lonely lady, and a warm welcome to the forums.

Sometimes when our partner/spouse don't 'really 'get' what I need', maybe because we're too afraid to begin a conversation only because of their reaction, or believe they won't understand what you're talking about or are not interested in, but chronic health can be the gateway to depression as we become older in life and can affect the friendships we once had.

It doesn't mean you should feel alone, as many of us are in your age group and understand how you feel because once we begin to feel tired and unable to do what we used to love to do, then there is a problem that needs to be talked about.

A pleasure for you to join us and hope to hear back from you.

Geoff.

Eilidh_Girl
Community Member

Hello lonely lady,

I'm brand new here too and can relate to a great deal of what you’re saying. In particular, there being so much that needs to be done just to exist!

I certainly don’t have the answers but just wanted to say hello. I think you’ve fine something tremendously positive just by reaching out here.

Thank you smallwolf, my local hospital has given me sessions with a psychologist to help and it has made a difference already. However my GP says it is not enough (sessions are monthly) so wants to add a health plan so it will be interesting to have some different perspectives. Thanks for the other tips, what apps do you recommend?

As for my partner, he simply does not know how to listen. He is so used to me handling everything and because the change is 'internal' he forgets to consider what I am feeling if that makes sense. He also has some health issues of his own and has become a bit self absorbed in that so my attempts to communicate fall on deaf ears and is causing us some tension. It won't destroy our relationship but we are having more downs than ups at present which adds to my stress. Thank you for listening

Thank you Geoff

It's great to hear there are people in my age group here and very comforting. My husband is not a great listener or communicator so he simply does not know how to listen, hence the reason I say he simply doesn't get what I need. He is so used to me handling everything and because the change is 'internal' he forgets to consider what I am feeling if that makes sense. More downs than ups at present in our relationship.

As for friends, I have very few good ones and none close to me physically. I am blessed to know at least 3 who would take me in if I turned up on their doorstep, no questions asked but they are all so busy with their own lives I don't want to burden them with my troubles. I feel I need some 'friends' who are neutral and not connected to the 'old happy reliable me' but can relate to my current situation. Thank you for listening

Thank you Eilidh Girl,

I already feel better and grateful that people like yourself have responded. I am finding it hard to keep working but don't have the finances to cut back on more hours and on top of that ususally have 2 or 3 appointments of some kind every week just to manage and monitor my health issues. It's all very overwhelming and complex and then of course there's a home to look after, shopping bills etc. Very hard to make or put aside some time to just relax and look after me. Am I being too responsible? probably but doing my best to let go of as much as possible

Thank you for listening

I can completely relate to that feeling of being overwhelmed and not knowing where to begin to trim things back. I, too, am trying to learn how to look after myself. Hang in there.