FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

New here.. hope it's the right area..

Worriedaboutme
Community Member

Hi all.. I've been struggling with life all over at the moment and now I've actually been paying attention me ... and I'm concerned. I have anxiety that leads into depression onto paranoia (yeah.. fun times). I take meds that do help, however after looking after my parents (triple bypass and smashed wrist) my downtime has been to chill with is drink. I'm still responsible.. but my anxiety and overthinking has gone over the top in the past few months (so much so I'd rather not talk because I'm constantly apologising) and I don't know how to deal with it. I'm apologising for apologising and it continues. So, although I am talking to someone through work (health system) and have a super supportive partner I am hoping to make contact with people that may have been in my position before... and how to come out the other side. I do have days where I feel "life would be easier....." but I haven't gone yet. Nor have I tempted.. 

I'm really sorry if this doesn't make sense.. I'm just trying to reach out...

3 Replies 3

Sophie_M
Hi Worriedaboutme,  Welcome to the forums and thank you for your bravery and openness in sharing here. It’s a really good place to have come to hear from others. We’re really sorry to hear you’ve been feeling anxious and depressed. We think sharing here is a great step towards feeling better.   If you want to talk through what you’re feeling at any time, the Beyond Blue Support Line is here for you 24/7 on 1300 22 4636, or online here. It’s ok to reach out when you’re feeling anxious or upset, they can talk you through some ways to find a bit of calm, and then help you to figure out some options for further support.  We’re sure we’ll hear from the lovely community soon, but in the meantime, here’s some strategies you might like to have a look at it. We understand you might have been through some of these in the past and it might feel like cold comfort right now, but they’re here in case they do pique your interest:  Thanks again for sharing. We’re here to listen and offer support, and you never know how your story might help someone else.  Kind regards,  Sophie M 

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Worriedaboutme,

Welcome to our community, and thank you for having the courage to share your experience with us. I understand that you're going through a challenging time, and I truly appreciate your willingness to seek advice and support.

It's important to remember that keeping in touch with your healthcare provider and adhering to your treatment plan is essential during this period. Moreover, it will be beneficial to explore alternatives to alcohol for stress relief. Even though it might provide temporary relief, it could be detrimental in the long run and might affect your overall treatment progress.

Here're some resources that might help:

1. Alcoholics Anonymous: A supportive community where individuals share experiences and strategies to overcome alcohol-related challenges. You can find them here: https://aa.org.au/

2. The Alcohol and Drug Foundation: Offers resources and programs aimed at preventing harm caused by alcohol and drugs within Australian communities. You can find them here: https://adf.org.au/

In my own journey, regular exercise, particularly morning runs, has been incredibly beneficial. I found that after consistently running for a week, my anxiety levels started to decrease significantly. I hope it works for you too, if you want to have a try. And take care of yourself physically, eat healthy food, have enough sleep.

Additionally, consider reaching out to the BeyondBlue hotline 24/7. They can provide more professional guidance.

You are not alone and we are here for you. Hope things improve for you soon.

Take care,
Mark

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi there,

I am sorry you are experiencing this, it must be hard for you. It's great that you feel supported by your partner and you are seeking help. This is the first step in the right direction, you should be proud of yourself 🙂

Even though it might not seem like it now, things will get better! It can take some time, but you will get there. I have been there too with anxiety, it sucks! I was at a party on Saturday night with co-workers and 3 of us talking admitted that we all have anxiety. And before that, none of us would've even known that we had it! It's so common, so you are definitely not alone xx

I hope things improve soon,

Jaz xx