FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

New Here and looking for support

G_Star03
Community Member

Hi team,

I'm brand new here and reaching out as I'm wanting to get some support from other people who struggle with mental health. I struggle with anxiety and depression and have developed an unhealthy coping strategy of binge drinking and it's something I wish to change. I'm hoping by posting this it will be me be accountable and believe in myself that I can stop this behaviour. Any support would be great.

Thankyou

4 Replies 4

Sophie_M
Hi G_Star03,

Welcome to our friendly online community. We are so grateful that you decided to reach out here today as we know it can be really tough to do this for the first time. It’s a great step to have taken, and we’ll be here for you on this journey.

Have you reached out to anyone about this? This could be a conversation with your GP or with any existing mental health support, or a chat with a loved one who you feel will be supportive in helping you to change this behaviour. It sounds like it would be really good to discuss this with are our friends at Counselling Online, who have some really good resources on Making a Change, here. There’s also the Beyond Blue helpline on 1300 22 4636, or on webchat if you’d prefer to speak to counsellor there. Our kind and understanding counsellors can talk this through with you and help you to figure out how you can get some further support with this.

Other community members have previously mentioned an app called Daybreak to be a useful resource. You can find out more about this here.

This is a judgment-free space, so please feel free to share, knowing that you'll be met with understanding. Hopefully a few of our welcoming community members will pop by soon to welcome you and offer some words of support and advice.

Kind regards,

Sophie M

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello G_Star, thank you so much for posting your comment.

Daybreak app has been very good for many people, the first 2 sessions are free, then an annual prescription needs to be paid, it's only minimal and worth looking into.

Your doctor can prescribe some medication that will stop any urge for you to drink, it does work, but only if you really want to stop your drinking, and even if you try and have a drink while taking it, you won't get the usual buzz that alcohol gives you.

If you do take it, then the time you want to start binging is very important, because that's the time you need to replace the alcohol with a long glass of fizzy drink, drink the whole glass and then have something to eat, especially if you're sitting down with friends, watching TV etc, simply because your routine needs to be changed so that this time you are occupied doing something else, like playing golf, doing repairs about the house or whatever else you like to do, to take your mind off the alcohol.

If you need to drink 2 glasses of fizzy drink then have them, something to fill your stomach, put some chewy in your mouth or suck on some minty lollies, you know this would change the taste of the alcohol.

I hope this helps you and please ask any question you want to.

Good luck.

Geoff.

G_Star03
Community Member

Hi Geoff,

Thank you so much for your wealth of information!! I really appreciate it. Your suggestions are absolutely great and give me a plan as I really had no idea how to tackle this or what to do so thank you so, so much! And thankyou to this forum and Beyond Blue, I feel very supported already!

Thankyou

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi G_Star03,

You're very welcome to the forum.

I can tell you really want to overcome anxiety and depression. However while self-medicating may offer some relief in the short-term, over time it only exacerbates your problems. But it's very good that you have self-awareness.

May I ask how much you drink every week? Has it affected your normal life including your eat and sleep already? You may need to reduce drinking gradually, instead of just stopping it, to avoid any quitting drinking affects. If you feel hard for yourself to do so, there is a range of alcohol related services available, many of which are free, have a look here: https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/servicesandsupport/alcohol-and-drug-treatment-and-programs

Regarding your anxiety and depression challenge you can give a call to Beyondblue hotline to have some professional advice. I believe as long as you feel you're on the right track of reducing alcohol, you'll be more confident to face the anxiety and depression. With professional support you'll get better.

Warmly,

Mark