FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Never thought I would be here

michiru_maeda
Community Member

I kept seeing Beyond Blue posters on the back of public toilet door stall. I always have those little 'noises' inside my head. But hey, who doesn't? I thought I was strong and normal. life goes ups and downs. This is just the cycle of life. My mental support came in a form of a stray cat. She lived under my house. Took her in. Took her to the vet. They took her away from me. Sent the cat to RSPCA for identification and relocating the owner. Fair enough. After 8 days, if no one comes forward, I could formally adopt her, they said. 8 days have passed but they haven't returned the cat to me. I miss her dearly,  the cat gave me hope. I had something to look forward to after work. Now my house is a sad place to live. Who would have thought a cat brought me here.

Thank you for reading. Nice to meet you and wish to connect. Cheers!

7 Replies 7

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello michiru_maeda, you feel just like a million other people who have a pet they can associate with and to bring them happiness either when they come home or being with them all day.

To contact the RSPCA may be up for you to do, as they have hundreds of pets to deal with and many people to contact, but they might be trying to cut down their costs by ringing everybody and hope the people who want an animal back to contact them.

If you could please do this then try and if for some reason the owner has been found, they may not want it back or there will be hundreds of other cats/dogs that are only wanting to find a new owner.

Please give this a go and it would be great to know the outcome.

You have been very responsible to take her to the vet, but want to know if you want to discuss these voices in your head, as I too also have them.

Geoff.

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi michiru maeda,

Wellcome to our forums!

It was nice of you to take the cat to the vet I understand you would miss her.

Would you adopt a different cat?

We are here if you want to tell us more.

Amelia02
Community Member

Hi michiru,

Welcome.
There are many “rescue pets” just waiting to find a new home and that would absolutely love moving in with you if you have a situation where it’s possible. As others have said that same cat might even be waiting for you.

I think we always think we are “normal”/ assume others are the same as us. It’s probably true in the main/ in many ways. But not having the user manual on ourselves means we don’t really know for sure. I went years and years depressed and not even knowing this is actually a legit problem and can be improved! Oh brother! Many people are like this. Mental health problems are woefully under diagnosed from what I understand unfortunately. I would recommend letting your GP know all the different things you’re experiencing, whether that is hearing sounds, feeling loneliness, feeling unsure or anything else. Then you can be sure you’re doing the best for yourself whether it’s continuing as you are or getting further help.

Take care, A

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hello and what a nice thing you did.

pets can be or are very loyal and loving. I used to have a cat. aside from dogs, perhaps the best companion. It doesn't take long to form an attachment to cute cat!

As hard has it is to let go, your act of kindness might have led to the cat being returned their owner. And giving them a little happiness.

As the others have suggested, you could go to your local RSPCA and check out the options. What do you think?

Sophia16
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi,

Welcome to the Beyond Blue forums and thank you for being open here. It sounds like you really loved the cat and you miss it. It is hard to let go of something we love but it makes us stronger.

Have you been to the vet and asked if it was adopted? If it has, have you considered adopting another cat?

Stay safe and i am always here to chat

Hello all, thank you for the lovely replies. I have the cat back after waiting for one month. She settles well and remembers her old routines. My bed is officially her bed now. I love her cuddles during night sleeps. She has lifted my spirit!

Hi Michiru.

I’m glad that you and your cat have a new beginning. It must have been a very long month for both of you. Enjoy those cuddles.