FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Need help understanding Misophonia

Tash601
Community Member
Hi, I have Misophonia and find that the more I try to block out people making noises while they eat the more it seems to be amplified. This is getting worse and I end up getting so very irritated. I love my family but it gets to the point of me wanting to eat on my own. I feel that they don't seem to understand and say comments like its me and that I am just being annoying or picky. I have gotten to the point of not wanting conversation at the dinner table or any time when food is involved as sometimes they eat and talk with their mouth open. Even if this is brief I can't seem to block it out, even when people drink it seem like they are dying of thirst and feel the need to gulp. I know this is putting such a strain on our family times and i am trying but i don't understand why these noises are so amplified. This is really starting to get me down as I feel like the abnormal one. Please any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
9 Replies 9

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hi Tash, I can only imagine how annoying this must be for you, it sounds as though it's a phobia, but I don't think this has been confirmed, however a good way to help you overcome this is by using a technique called 'desensitisation' which you can either do by yourself or with a psychologist, however desensitisation is used to treat other phobias, so you would think that it is a type of phobia.
Google the word and see how it works, but I don't that this treatment will work if you are always being subjected to it when it's a constant ongoing problem at the dinner table, so is there anywhere else you could stay, but I would suggest you make an appointment with your doctor who can then refer you to a psychologist who deals with this type of disorder. Geoff.

Kazzl
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Tash, I agree with Geoff about seeing a psychologist. I don't know much about misophonia specifically, but, in addition to what Geoff mentioned about desensitisation, I know psychs often use exposure therapy or cognitive behavioural therapy to help people overcome phobias and other fear-based anxieties, so perhaps that could work for you.

Very best wishes

Kaz

Tash601
Community Member

Thank you Geoff, I am going to see someone, it has only been recently that i found out that this actually has a name and that i am not just being weird. I don't like how it makes me feel. thank you again.

Hello Tash

I just Googled Misophonia and was frankly appalled. It sounds like a dreadful condition to have. No wonder you feel you are the crazy one. The saddest part is that other people often cannot hear the sounds that trigger your response, which is why they get upset with you.

How did you get diagnosed with this? And were you offered any treatment? I'm not certain what therapy is used in this scenario although the bit I read talked about imitating the sound. Can I ask who you are going to see? I don't mean a name, just what sort of professional can deal with this. This is why I asked about your diagnosis. You do not want to see someone who 'thinks' they can help, you need an expert in this field.

In the meantime I suggest you print out the best article on this condition you can find and show it to your family. Once they know you are not being picky or difficult and that there are real and difficult consequences for you, perhaps they can help you a little. I know it sounds extreme but can you eat on your own and join the family to talk after everyone has eaten?

I am so sorry you have this condition and I hope you can find some relief soon. Meanwhile please continue to write in here. We cannot change what you have but we can offer you support.

Mary

Tash601
Community Member
Thank you also Kaz

Hi Mary, yes there is diagnosis but unfortunately no straight answer on treatment. When it is bad I ask all to not have conversation until after dinner is finished and have to have the tv on so that I can try to focus on it as a visual as reduce the sound. Sometimes i just don't understand how it can be so loud. I do casually try to block one ear but it i difficult to do this when trying to eat without making it obvious to others around me. For instance when someone eats a cracker even with their mouth closed it is so so loud, the crunching is like someone is chewing in my ear. The worst thing is that I can't handle the sound of ice even just grabbing something out of the freezer or getting ice cubes for a drink, the sound replays over and over and it triggers a physical response being that my saliva glands go wild. Yes i know this sounds bizarre but this is what happens.

With meals I do end up at times having to remove myself from where anyone is eating. I have tried hypnotherapy on multiple occasions but they have all said they can't get me under.

Thank you for the support all, and any suggestions are welcome.

BluBelle
Community Member

Hey Tash, I have misophonia too. My trigger sounds are people chewing, loud breathing, sighing and hearing people "pop" their p's or talk like they have a dry mouth. It made catching public transport a nightmare, for some reason people are always chewing gum or eating on the train and it's such a confined space. I used to screech at my family members to get away from me if they were making those sounds. I realised they didn't understand what it did to me, so I explained it was like hearing fingernails on a chalkboard and filled me with inexplicable rage. But it's not very practical to try explaining that to everyone, especially strangers or in professional situations. I minimise it where I can by eating lunch at my desk and always wearing headphones or carrying a pair of earplugs in my handbag. I haven't sought any professional treatment for it though, so please do let me know if you find something that works!

I think I'm sensitive to all sounds because I also recently discovered ASMR, which is where you feel joy at certain noises. I had a real fear of listening to people whisper in case of the dry mouth/popping, but then I found the GentleWhispering channel on YouTube and it's really helped me overcome it. She has a really gentle voice that feels good to listen to. It actually makes me fall asleep!

Tash601
Community Member
Thank you for that, the reference to nails on the chalkboard is exactly haw i have tried to explain it to my family and friends.

BrainOnFire
Community Member

Hi there. I'm so sorry your feeling this. But Hey your not alone. I have misophonia too. I completely understand about sound's. I'm highly sensitive. My main trigger is high wind. Although it may not sound that much to someone else to me it drive's me to the point where I become completely confused. Agitated and I came on this app because I knew I was spiralling out of control mentally. When I am effected with misophonia. I can only take so much and then suddenly it's as if although I can still move my brain becomes cationic. I don't know if that makes sense or not. I'm on the edge of reality. Other sounds really effect me too. Such as TV. My brother watches shows and even the sound of medical equipment like an EKG on a medical show sends me off. I've noticed the sound is not so much effecting the ears but more feeling like my brain is being sharply stimulated. Not getting too scientific but research is being done and scientists believe misophonia can be linked neurology. But I feel it's more on like sensory overload. Where some thing's are just too much and causes and overload. Please don't feel alone. Your not. There are thousands out there with the same problem. I can certainly help you with some you tube videos. Can you perhaps talk with a family member that you really have good ties with. Please keep in contact. Remember your not alone. ♥️