FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My Mum died

JuAbby1402
Community Member
Hello Everyone, I am new to this, and a little worried.. I recenly lost my mum to Lung Cancer in November, and I am still so incredibly sad.. Even more so, after spending Xmas without her, Is so hard!! She loved Xmas so much!!
7 Replies 7

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello JuAbby1402

Its okay to be new...If we didnt have new members like yourself then the forums wouldnt exist!

I am so very sorry about your mum and please accept our condolences for your loss. Can I ask if you have family or friends you can lean on during this difficult time?

There are many gentle people on the forums that can be here for you too Abby...I am only one of them

If you need a voice on voice Beyond Blue have qualified super kind counsellors available 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 if you want a chat

you are an amazing person for reaching out the way you have...

my kindest thoughts for you Abby...Its also very okay to be sad too

Paul

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion
Hi and welcome to beyond blue. Sorry to read about the loss of your mother.

People react differently to loss and I guess we only find out when it happens to us. For some it may take longer. For some less time. There is no right or wrong way to grieving - there is only your way.

Do you have friends or family you can talk it over with?

If you ever feel as though you are not getting over it you can always look for professional help.

Perhaps talking about your mum here might help you deal with what you are feeling? I would be interested in listening if you wanted to write about her and her effect on you.

Peace to you

Tim

Youre1
Community Member
I lost my mom to cancer 5 years ago, I still think about her constantly, what has helped me is to go to her grave and tender to it. I have put down grass seeds and fertilize her plot and give it a good water regularly. I get rid of weeds and generally spend time tendering to her plot. It is the only thing I can do for her. At the cemetery its also a good quiet place to have a cry in peace and speak to mum. But such is the circle of life, its cruel, but that's the way the universe works.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi have lost bothy parents to cancer my father to lung cancer when i was 20 and my mum on Christmas day 5 years ago.I spend my christmas alone these days and remembe all the great christmas's that we had.Mum would cook up that much food and very traditional.I miss those days much happier times for me.

I find it has got easier as time goes by.Their are times like christmas that i dread as it is hard time of the year for me and miss my mum so much.I allways have a toast for her at 2pm the time she passed,its only me but to remember the great lady she was.

It is very hard losing someone who you love and was a big part of your life.Remember your mum for the person she was and it is ok to cry and be sad.Just hang in there.

Cranberry_Juice
Community Member

Hi JuAbby

I send my condolences to you and family and I feel for your sadness and lost as I have lost my mother a few years ago too from a stroke and it took me a while to recover . It does get easier after time.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello JuAbby, for you and those above who are grieving from a lost parent or parents my heartfelt thoughts reach out to all of you in a time which is devastating and not easy to know how you are able to cope without the person you could always rely on when you needed their advice.

My sympathy and sincere condolences go out to all of you, as both my parents have passed away and know how you are feeling.

I hope you can stay in contact with us and I'm so very sorry.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

trying-to-find-peace
Community Member
Hi Abby, first let me say that I am sorry for your lose. I truly understand how you could be feeling right now without your mother. I lost my mum at 17. On the 27th of Dec, 2017, my mum died by suicide. I encourage you to reach out for professional help, talk to your loved ones and remember you will be going through a grieving process - that can change and look different each day.. whatever you feel, is ok, your feelings are your own. I miss my mum everyday. I like to keep her memory alive and talk about her. I keep her belongings and photos close. I like to find a quiet place to talk to her. Other day’s, I don’t want to talk about it at all. Do what you need to do Abby and make sure you look after your own mental health. Always here for a chat!