FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Monthly Forums Update: Reflecting back on February

Sophie_M

Hi Everyone,

Welcome those who may have just made their way here on the forums and wave to all who continue to support the community in being a safe and non-judgmental space to talk about one’s mental health journey 😊

A reminder that if you’re currently experiencing thoughts and feelings that are intense, overwhelming or impacting your daily life, we’d encourage you to speak with a GP or mental health professional. If you’d like some support with finding a suitable health professional in your area, visit our ‘find a professional’ page on our website or check-in with one of our professional mental health counsellors at our Support Service who can point you in the right direction - 1300 22 4636 / https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/get-immediate-support  for online chat (1pm-12am AEDT) & email (responses within 24 hours)

Community Voices: What are people talking about?

Talking to loved ones about your mental health

I've been a part of these forums for a few days now, but I feel already its making a huge difference in my management and recovery of severe depression, stress and anxiety.

Without rambling or going in depth of my own issues which isn't my aim of this thread I guess, I was wondering what opinions, advice, and/or experience all of you have had in regards to talking to friends, family, and loved ones about your mental health? - Jack2021 (Read more here)

i feel like I’ve exhausted all my support options and this is my last resort. I’m bipolar and my relationship is in crisis because of this. We have a 2 year son and He’s in daycare twice a week but I just can’t cope knowing my partner is unhappy and that we might get separated – Feeldeatroyed (Read more here)

I tried to explain to my partner that my GP referred me to a phycologist and he went mad saying it was all in my head, snap out of it, no one he knows is mentally ill. It doesn't help that the subject can't be discussed at home – contrarymary (Read more here)

Social Anxiety

A few years ago I was diagnosed with social anxiety and have been managing it with counselling top-up sessions when needed. However I've noticed in the last year or so I've become panicky/stressed out after having chats with friends or family in public settings whether it's the same day as the outing or it hits me out of nowhere within 3 days of the interaction. – Guest_6720 (Read more here)

Hey, I am new here. I have a 7 month old baby and I get very overwhelmed leaving the house with him. I love my son so much and want him to have the best life but I just can't seem to get past feeling terrified of people judging me and my parenting. – Sharkgirl (Read more here)

I start year 11 today. Anxious all night. Can’t sleep. My dog woke up coughing for a long time. She’s almost 10. She has previously been diagnosed with a heart murmur, and she is licking a lot anxious. I am thinking the worst which I should never do. I might have to take a taxi from the vet later by myself to get to school. I have social anxiety and freaking out. I honestly feel scared and stressed. Any ideas how to cope? – Mudcakes (Read more here)

Medication (Is it helpful?/ Potential side effects)

Upon the suggestion of my psychiatrist, I have just started a second line treatment in addition to my regular antidepressant. As per the rules I can't name it here but it's a supplement with good scientific evidence showing its effectiveness against depression. I trust his professional judgement in suggesting it to me. I started it six days ago and I've had varying results. On the plus I'm seeing signs of improved mood at times but it's still intermittent and unstable. – Rod_NR93 (Read more here)

I’m looking for a little guidance from people who have had experience with medication to help their depression. I have been struggling with Depression mostly with some anxiety and stress for quite well over a year now and it’s been never ending. I haven’t really had a long period of time where I have been feeling good. I have been to my doctor for bloods which are normal and also seeing a psychiatrist who has been trying to give me some CBT tips but they don’t seem to help. – Dube96 (Read more here)

Ok so my doctor prescribed me a dosage when I first saw her, and I was on that dose for 3.5 weeks - when I saw her again she upped the dosage as it wasn’t having the desired affect. It’s now been over 1.5 weeks at the new dose and I don’t think anything has changed yet.. does anyone know how long it will take for them to work properly? Or should I be going back to my doc soon? – MamaL (Read more here)

Valued Contributor Award

Our Valued Contributor for the month of February is Elizabeth CP!

Elizabeth CP has been nominated for often engaging in very insightful discussions as well as initiating relevant, supportive and practical threads across the forums about how to manage various mental heath challenges and or issues. Thank you for all your contributions Elizabeth CP! 

To read more about what a Valued Contributor is and how you can nominate a fellow community member, please refer to our thread Nominate a Valued Contributor here: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support

BB News/Resources

Name the Beyond Blue community van!

With the support of our partner, Australia Post, we will soon be able to drive a new community van!

As a proud partner, Australia Post is working with Beyond Blue to lead a positive change in the way we talk about mental health and help build stronger, more connected communities. To help us achieve this goal, Australia Post is generously supporting Beyond Blue's big, blue community van.

Beyond Blue will be driving the big blue van to community events around Australia to create a safe space for people to share their experiences and learn more about our programs and services.

Beyond Blue and Australia Post want to give the van a name, and are looking to you, the community, to help us.

If you have an idea for a name to be displayed on the community van, please complete the form on our webpage by Thursday 11 March 2021, 11.59pm AEST.  

0 Replies 0