FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Living with sufferers of Borderline Personality Disorder

LizC6
Community Member

Hi,

My adolescent has just been diagnosed with BPD. She has also just attempted suicide. I've been having trouble finding a support community and feel very much at a loss to cope with everything.

Any tips?

Thanks in advance,

LisC.

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hi LisC, 

We are so sorry to hear about your adolescent and the difficulties you're going through. This is an enormous thing to deal with and must be very daunting, but we're glad you could share here.

This is a huge thing to be going through, and it's important to us that you know you can access support for yourself, as well as for your loved ones. You can get in contact with the Beyond Blue Support Service 24/7 by phone on 1300 22 4636 or on Webchat 11am-12am AEST on our website. One of our counsellors will be able to talk through these feelings with you and can offer support, advice and referrals.  

Alternatively, you could get in touch with Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800. They are a confidential and anonymous, telephone and online counselling service specifically for young people aged 25 and under, and they have some advice for parents here. You can also contact Lifeline (13 11 14) or the Suicide Call Back Service (1300 659 467) for tips and strategies.  

We're really glad you've had the strength and courage to come this community for support. You are not alone and we are here to assist you. We hope you'll find comfort in our kind community, some members have shared similarly difficult experiences and may be able to offer the advice and understanding you're looking for. Please feel free to share here whenever you feel comfortable to do so.

Kind regards, 
Sophie M

Aaronsis
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi LizC6

Firstly I want to acknowledge how overwhelming this must be for you to have your child be diagnosed with BP as well as managing her emotions and feelings and wellbeing, then on top of all of that to have the suicide attempt as well. I have no idea how hard this time must be for you and for them but I am so proud you have reached out here today.

Welcome and I hope you can find some support here as we do care so very much. I am a mother of two teens so I know of the daily grind with out all of the added things in the mix so my heart and my hand goes out to you. We are here to listen and to help you talk through things that you may wish to discuss, I am wondering how you would feel about reaching out to get some professional support for you too? Going through this would be enormous so to be able to have someone with whom you can get support and care from would be great.

Sophie_M has mentioned Kids Helpline and they are so amazing, this could be something that maybe you could offer to your daughter for her support, they have an online service too if they feel more comfortable with that.

I also wanted to mention the app that Beyond Blue have made and that is a suicide safety planning app called Beyond Now, I will put the link here:

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/beyondnow-suicide-safety-planning

What is great about this too is that maybe you can do this together and fill out the sections on what she needs at her time of feeling overwhelmed and this information will also help you too to know how best to support them.

It is very brave of you to come to chat today and I am really pleased you have, I am here with a virtual arm around you to let you know you are not alone and that we care.

Hugs to you

Sarah