FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Living with Bipolar and Struggling to earn enough money

narnia_rocks
Community Member

Hi I am in my midthirties, male and I have had Biplolar since I was 12 years old.

I have been able to achieve a bachelor degree after high school. But it was in a field of work that is very stressful with the type of people in it. So I have decided not to do that again (at least for many years). 
I have lost several jobs over the years and it is so frustating. 

Reasons for losing jobs: Performance managed 3 times because the jobs were not a good fit for me. They were advertised with deceptive words.
Another, time, the company went bankrupt.

I am now working casually and I really enjoy the job. but they're only giving me 16 - 20 hours per week which is not enough.
I am able to live on it, but very meagerly. I can't save money towards a replacement car (if needed) or holiday or anything.

My health is managed well but I still struggle with heightened anxiety sometimes, and crabbiness, irritability. I don't have a good sleep pattern. I overeat, am fat and sometimes it's hard to breathe. Especially with a nose issue I have, and a side effect of medication. I need self control.

Thank you for reading this. I am looking forward to participating here.

2 Replies 2

Withhope
Community Member

Hello. I don’t know if you have ever accessed Work Assist Program when you have been at risk of losing work. Disability employment services does this program but it’s not promoted very well.

do you get ndis?

i just wanted to say hello. 

Serenity22
Community Member

Hey dude. I don’t know why your post stood out to me. I mean, there’s some overlapping stuff with me. I can’t work due to pain following a bunch of messed up surgeries on my otherwise healthy body. Govt money helps but doesn’t cover my rent. I’m sad this has happened, and I feel like there’s no hope. I don’t wanna be a downer I just wanna say….I can relate in some ways.