FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Link between OCD and mental health

Shommi
Community Member
Hey everyone.just joined this forum.was wondering if other people can shed light on the link between OCD and mental health issues.seems easy to diagnose urself with something whilst not really understanding things alot
2 Replies 2

Paw Prints
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Shommi,

Welcome to the forum. This is a friendly and supportive place where you can feel free to express your thoughts.

OCD is a form of anxiety. Not having any personal experience of OCD myself I don't feel able to advise/inform. Others on the forum may be able to provide some personal insight.

Beyond Blue does have information on OCD which can be found at:

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/the-facts/anxiety/types-of-anxiety/ocd

Just copy & paste the link in your browser or to find it yourself:

• At the bottom of the page is a section called "the facts"
  • Click on the link "Anxiety"
  • Click on "Types of Anxiety"
  • Scroll down to OCD

Paws

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Shommi, if I can continue on from what Paws has well said, although I'm not qualified to say, only suffered from it for 60 odd years but OCD can be brought down from one generation to another, but it can miss the next one but rebound later on in years to come.

It can be linked to anxiety or you can learn how to become obsessive, as I did, and performed to try and prevent an obsessive fear from happening, to reduce the anxiety the obsessive thought creates.

It is listed under the Beyond Blue title, so you can relate it to mental health issues, and I'm happy to answer any questions you may want to ask.

Best wishes.

Geoff.