FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Just joined

Gigi29
Community Member
Hi everyone ive just joined at 3am during yet another panic attack very happy to have found this forum as i have been suffering from depression anxiety & panic attacks for over 25 yrs and have had a severe bout of panic attacks over the last 6 mnths that i cant seem to get under control suffice to say they are wearing me down so it would be nice to talk to others
8 Replies 8

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Gigi and welcome,

Sorry to hear you have suffered with this for so long. Are you receiving treatment/counselling? Do you know what is triggering your panic attacks?

Please feel free to tell us more of your story. Everyone here is amazing , you are safe and will not be judged.

hope to hear back from you.

cmf

Gigi29
Community Member

Hi cmf thanks so much for your reply ive been taking medication for depression for 25 yrs and mostly just maintain a quiet healthy lifestyle to keep my mental health on track which usually works well but recently lost my beloved father in law which has caused the panic attacks to flare up im tired of struggling through this on my own (i have my husband that helps me) but its nice to chat with fellow sufferers & hope to learn how others cope & just be able to reach out at 3am & try to distract my mind from the panic attack so i can calm down

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hey Gigi,

sorry to hear of your loss. It is hard to wake up in the middle of the night in a panic do you use breathing exercises, or get out of bed and just sit quietly? There is an app called smiling mind which can be helpful for meditation and relaxation.

are you receiving counselling for these recent panic attacks

.cmf x

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hi Gigi, 25 years is a long time to suffer from this, far too long and each time you have an attack it pushes you down further into that black hole, but we know what it's doing but don't ask for any help, why, well maybe we are too scared to open up to someone who would be able to guide us through to a better place.
Years ago we used to hide these fears because we always thought that people would tell us to just get over it, that's impossible because it doesn't help you get to the core of the problem and why they are happening, so our life continues on but it's a struggle.
There maybe several reasons why these attacks happen but you may not have identified them and that's why you need to go and see your doctor. Geoff.

Gigi29
Community Member

Hi cmf no not receiving any treatment for the recent panic attacks as im just exhausted they always hapoen whilst im sleeping so im just trying to do my best to rest & get through every day thanjs for letting me know about the app i will check it out ive been thinking of a guided meditation as i have a room in my house to meditate in im going to attempt to sleep now as im feeling calmer thanks so much for taking the time to chat with me its helped me get through this attack so happy to have found such lovely support

Gigi29
Community Member
Hi Geoff well its 5.40am & im having another panic attack i have to agree its time to see a doctor this is becoming unbearable i guess i do try to deal with it myself and obviously im getting nowhere i usually run out into my front yard & call an ambulance only to cancel it 2 mins later feeling like a fool for having called but i feel so afraid during the attacks that i need help & knowing someone is on their way to help me calms me i feel like im fighting a losing battle at this point but i know i have to keep fighting

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hi Gigi, do you have a doctor you trust but more so feel as though you can talk to, because that's something important. Geoff.

Gigi29
Community Member
Hi Geoff i recently found a doctor that seemed quite good i will book in to go & see him & discuss my situation thank you for your help & for all the amazing work you do here i was reading about all of you amazing people that take so much time to help others bless you all