FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Introducing Me

DadNeedsHelp
Community Member
Hi all. I've just signed up in the hope I can find ways here to help my adult daughter who suffers from anxiety and depression. Sadly, the fact that she suffers from this is not a surprise to me because of her history. Her mother also suffers from these things and has been through anorexia, OCD, panic attacks among other issues. We have been divorced for quite a few years now and sadly, our relationship is little more than polite. I am remarried and very happy in my new marriage. My wife is very supportive, has a good relationship with my children and is happy to do whatever she can to help so this is a good start. Anyway, I guess this is about introducing me so I'll restrict myself to that if I can. I am prematurely retired (aged 60) and play a lot of golf. I don't have great numbers of friends but I value the ones that I have. My own history includes bouts of depression at times especially when I was young and suffered bullying at school. I think I am reasonably well adjusted these days but I do find it difficult to maintain good friendships because I suppose I still have some anxiety about other peoples' opinions of me. This causes me to be less proactive in my friendships than what is probably ideal. That said, I think I cope fairly well with life most of the time. I will probably have a bit of a look around and perhaps post elsewhere about my current concerns. I hope that my presence here can add to this community and that I can also find information that can help me to understand how to help my children.
2 Replies 2

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Dad, nice for you to join the forums and want to welcome you.

Your thread is interesting but there maybe more underlying in what you've told us.

It's not easy to come onto a site and post a comment, as you're not sure what sort of reaction you'll get, well you're safe because there are so many different topics that need addressing and every one of them is taken on its own merit with no criticism mentioned.

Have a browse through the different sections and look forward to hearing back from you.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

Thanks Geoff

I'll have a bit of a poke around and see what I find before I post again I think. I appreciate the welcome!