FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Intro

Nightwing81
Community Member
Hi all!
I've been battling anxiety for a long time now. At my worst I couldn't go out in public because it used to make me physically sick. I've been seeing a psychologist for about 6 years now and he's been great. I feel like I've achieved a lot but there still alot of work to do.

I've been trying to make a drastic lifestyle change but its been challenging. I've been wanting to sell my place and move to an apartment complex so I can be around other people and make new friends since I've been alone for a long time. Plus my mother is not well and that makes me very anxious. I tried talking to them about it but since they're from a different generation they think its a sign of weakness.

Im hoping there's people in this forum that are in a similar position as me and we can share similar stories about this and even get some tips on how to help manage the anxiety. I don't want to go see my doctor every time I have a anxiety attack because going up on my medication is something I want to avoid.

Hope to hear from you soon!

2 Replies 2

Emmen
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Nightwing81,

Welcome to the forums! Many of us struggle with anxiety so I hope this forums makes you feel less alone with what you're going through.

I have anxiety too and it's largely under control now. I manage it by doing mindfulness exercises and being more aware of the way my body is feeling. For instance, when I start feeling my typical symptoms of anxiety coming on, I actively try to do more relaxation exercises and try to address the event in my life that's causing the anxiety (if I can pinpoint it). Talking to people during these times help too since you can get advice/see things from another perspective.

With regards to making major life changes, it may be easier for you to take it step by step. Since you're used to being alone, you may find yourself just retreating to your home instead of making friends as you intended (that was what happened to me when I moved). Why not start now by joining community groups or volunteering? That way, you'll get into the habit of having people around you.

Anxiety is most definitely not a sign of weakness. In fact, facing it and trying to control it is an incredibly strong thing to do! I'm glad to that you feel you've come far, it's truly an achievement.

Kind regards,
M

Hi M

Thanks for the helpful reply!

My anxiety is mainly under control except when I think about my mothers illness. It always sets me off. I start to feel sick and I lose my appetite.

I have tried meditation but I'm having trouble focusing since my mind doesn't stop racing. I've gotten back into exercising and that's been helping I have a great trainer. Remedial massage has been good too.

I would like to be around more people its just that I get really quiet and I have trouble breaking the ice especially around women.

Its great that you have your anxiety under control. Hopefully I'll get there someday too.

Kind regards,

Nightwing81