FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I’m awake at 4am, and I’m confused on how I feel

-Kaz-
Community Member

Hi everyone, I’m a 23 year old male living in Sydney, and I’ve always felt I had some sort of depressive or anxiety disorder when I was young but couldn’t put my finger on it until relatively recently.

yesterday I started my first job and worked through the entire shift with no apparent issues, but as I returned home from work I felt empty? Like I hadn’t accomplished much of anything even though I was excited to finally earn some kind of income, and as I decompressed at home I had thoughts of “thank god that’s over”, “Why am I doing this?” And the like, and while all of those thoughts of themselves are red flags, I’ve grown accustomed to these thoughts as I’ve grown up - especially from High School.

But what really grabbed my attention was that as I laid in bed, my mind kept going back to the job, worrying over situations that haven’t happened, and making reasons on why I don’t like working there. While the job I work at isn’t what I want to turn into a career, I understand that I do it to support me and those I care about. These thoughts have gotten to the point where I believe that I don’t trust myself driving to work, just in case I subconsciously do something to prevent me from going there, and these thoughts have also driven me into an almost anxiety attack-levels of distress and emotional turmoil.

Has anyone felt this way before? Is this a ‘natural’ way of showing anxiety and/or depression in some way? Because at the rate I’m going with the way my mind races, I’m more scared of my potential actions than I am about the thoughts themselves.

Kaz

1 Reply 1

tranzcrybe
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

When I jump into a cold swimming pool, my first reaction is to get out ASAP.

But after a while my body acclimatises and I begin to realise why I jumped in in the first place.

First days are always going to be filled with doubts and fears. Your mind processes this new data to give it some reason. The natural anxiety around the 'new' can feel threatening but also open up opportunities to expand horizons.

Embrace the latter and see where it takes you.