FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I’m at my wits end

MrsKML
Community Member

Hi people, I am a mum of two boys. Mr 10 years old is a delightful child which is surprising seen as his older brother Mr 13 years old has been a nightmare since birth. He has been on medication for ADHD since the age of 5 and I have struggled with his behaviour for years however this year has been shocking. He has a terrible attitude to his family, is rude, extremely ungrateful, argumentative and defiant. I have to physically pull him out of bed everyday and do everything for him. Get his clothes out, pack his bag, stand beside him and make him do his homework, beg him to shower, clean up his clothes, argue with him about going to bed and do this over and over again day on and day out whilst trying to work 2 part time jobs, run a small business so I can afford to send him to a private Christian school in the hope that he will learn gratitude from them! I’m getting to the point where I can’t stand to be around him anymore and want to leave my family because of the way he treats us. He’s already on medication, has had counselling which he thinks is a joke. Where else can I send him - boarding school?

2 Replies 2

jess334
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi MrsKML,

That sounds awful. I'm sorry you are having such a hard time with him. It's great that you are getting him counselling and medication. Although unfortunately it doesnt sound like the medication is helping much. Have you spoken to your Dr about trying a different kind or dose?

Being a carer for someone, especially someone with ADHD, can be really exhausting. Are you taking care of yourself too? Maybe consider seeing a psychologist yourself? Or family counselling sessions so your son can hear the impact his behaviour has on the rest of the family?

I hope he gets better with age. The teen years are the worst.

Magpie71
Community Member
I’m am in a similar situation, I have a son who is the same age as yours, he also has adhd & been diagnosed with o.d.d & a.s.d level 2. The best piece of advice/help I ever received is; you need to look after yourself 1st, because if you don’t, you can’t look after anyone else. Like, if you’re in a plane & the oxygen masks come down, if you don’t put your’s on first, you can’t help others with theirs.