FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I just wanted to reach out...

KMF
Community Member

Hi there,

It has been a tough day but has got easier as the day went along. I was diagnosed with depression last Wednesday (I’ve had depressive episodes over the last 20 years but this is the first time I’ve been diagnosed by a psychiatrist). I have started on medication and are hopeful about the future.

Thanks for reading

KT xo

9 Replies 9

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hello and welcome to the forums,

firstly, please know this is a safe and non-judgemental space. There are many places where you can join in the chat such as in the social area where you will also find games etc to play. It is good to read you are hopeful about the future so I certainly will not rain on your parade. I hope to see more of you around the forums.

Summer Rose
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi KMF

Welcome to the bb forum and thank you for sharing your story.

I’m sorry that you have been dealing with depression for such a long time. You must be exhausted.

Sounds like you’re on a good path now. Many people have success with medication and I share your hope for your future. It can get better, hang in there.

Post any time.

Kind thoughts to you

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello KMF, thank you and a warm welcome to the forums.

Struggling with any type of depression for 20 years only hoping that tomorrow it will be much better must have been a strain on your ability to achieve anything and to finally have a diagnosis is finally a relief for you, then taking medication and being able to have counselling is a start to unravel these ongoing problems you've been trying to cope with.

You may have questions you want to ask along the way so please don't be afraid.

Geoff.

On The Road
Community Member

Hi KMF

Welcome to this place. I'm sorry for what you have gone through and I know a lot of underdiagnoses happened and happening, including me never a cheerful bubbly one since I was a kid. We have our own bumpy roads to travel on... I agree with Geoff that having a diagnosis can be a great relief...

I'm glad that you hold hope for your future. I'm learning to notice and enjoy small cheerful things which indicate a sense of hope which did help me a lot, I wonder if you feel the same.

hope you enjoy being here and all these friendly talks!

KMF
Community Member

Thanks so much for your reply. It’s taken me a while!

I have just been reminded tonight that this is a safe space to reach out to instead of retreating into myself.

KMF
Community Member

Yes very exhausted.

The medication isn’t going so well unfortunately. Side effects are almost unbearable.

KMF
Community Member
Thanks so much for your message. I’m having to remind myself so often that I’m still recovering from an episode of depression and that’s it’s okay to not be able to functioning at 100%.

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion
sometimes it can take time to get into a position or state of mind where you comfortable to write what's going on in your life. In your own time... I will still be around.

On The Road
Community Member

Hi KMF

Glad you come back, hope you are doing well. I see you are recovering which shows your resilience. You are a fighter!