FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How to Navigate the Melbourne Mental Health System for Support

OldHeadNZ
Community Member

Hi Errbody,

I'm currently going through a manic episode (diagnosed with bi-polar last episode).

I was living along St Kilda Road in the City last time.

I am now living out in the Western Suburbs.

This episode, I have documented all my interactions.

Phone calls, texts, in-person conversations with Nurses/Doctors.

I'm not sure If I'm allowed to be recording all these people without their permission, so please let me know if I should delete all this footage.

It's kind of hard to focus on one task at the moment.

But if there are people out there that are interested, please let me know.

4 Replies 4

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello OldheadNZ, and welcome.

I'm not sure if keeping recordings, audio/visual, is legal or not, especially since these doctors and nurses don't know you have recorded them, and you did not give them an opportunity to consent or refuse consent, or even to talk about it with you first.

Is there a reason why you did not seek their consent?

I am curious myself, why you feel the need to record your interactions this way?

I imagine you are, because your mind is currently jumping all over the place, & you can't concentrate, can't keep track of what is happening, what was said, from day to day.

If you thought they were making similar recordings themselves, wouldn't you like to have had an opportunity to discuss it with them, to either consent or not yourself?

Thanks for your question. I think it is a very good question.

😸mmMekitty

Hi mmMekitty,

I've documented everything this time round simply for proof.

Proof that I did everything possible to seek help.

I'll go through everything tonight and blur/bleep out identifiers.

I could then post the footage publicly right? As long as you can't identify anyone in particular you can post the videos?

Thanks for your help.

Hi OldHeadNZ,

Thank you for posting and sharing your experiences.

Please consult with a lawyer as to where you stand legally, as recording laws in each Australian state can differ and in certain cases recording people without their consent, and/or posting the footage publically can be unlawful, or leave you vulnerable to litigation.

If you'd like to talk your feelings around help seeking through, please contact us anytime on 1300 22 4636 or get in touch with us on Webchat 1pm-12am AEDT here: www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport 

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello OldheadNZ,

I am not a legal professional. I cannot give you advice in answer to your question. Keeping records privately, only for your own viewing is one thing, but making the records public, in any form, could be risky. I would take Sophie_M's advice, and seek legal advice from someone qualified to give it.

Please, hold off on publicly posting any of your records until you get proper advice.

warm regards,

mmMekitty