FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How do I help other if I can’t help myself?

JellyBeanTickTock
Community Member

Hi, I’m currently new to Beyond Blue so I’m probs doing this wrong but oh well.

I was diagnosed with severe depression earlier this year, although my therapist/doctor believes I’ve had it for years now. Anyways, my mother has severe PTSD, and I can’t help her without becoming severely depressed myself. My dad is stuck over seas after flying for a work meeting, and can’t come home due to restrictions. My older brother is studying for his ATAR all the time, and my little brother is very young, and unable to understand. At the moment, I’m charge of pretty much everything, and it isn’t helping my condition.

I have depression after 4 years of bullying, plus suffering from things like racism at school, and now that I’m Identifying as Pan, most of my old friends think I’m a walking sin of God and my local church doesn’t even let me in.

What do I do? How do I help my family, while taking care of myself too? How do I stop all of the negative thoughts?

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hey JellyBeanTickTock,
  Welcome to the forums, we are so glad that you've taken a big step in sharing your thoughts and feelings here with our wonderful community. We're so sorry to hear what you've been through, including the bullying and racism that you've endured, on top of having old friends and your local church turn away from you. It sounds like you have so much on your plate at the moment, and we can understand that this would be incredibly stressful to be trying to hold things together in your family right now when you're also trying to take care of yourself and have the support that you need. It's great to hear that you've been so proactive in reaching out to your doctor, and please also know that the caring community here on the forums are here to help talk things through and offer as much support, advice and conversation as you need through this- you never have to go through this alone. We would also really ecourage you to reach out the our friends at Kids Helpline, who offer confidential and anonymous, telephone and online counselling service specifically for young people aged 25 and under. The kind and understanding counsellors are here for you anytime on 1800 55 1800, or also 24/7 through their online chat at: https://kidshelpline.com.au/get-help/webchat-counselling We’d also welcome you to reach out to our Support Service, who are available 24/7 by phone on 1300 22 4636 or also on Webchat 1pm-12am AEST on our website: www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport They will also be able to ofefr support, advice and referrals for ongoing support if this is something you may find helpful. We hope that you can find some solace here from our kind community, and please feel free to keep checking back in and let us know how you are going when you feel up to it. We're all here for you.

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

hi jellybeanticktock

You have written a well thought out post .

Welcome, you are doing an amazing job. Sophie gave you helpful advice

www.carersnsw.org.au If you go to this caresr website and click on about caring and then on who is caring you will see a tab for young carers and it has information about support and help.

It is so hard even as an adult when one is unwell but has to look after someone else.

you can get support for yourself and look after your needs that will help you . Is there someone else who can support your mum in some way, a friend or neighbour?