FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Hi

Gem17
Community Member

I'm new here and after having a bit of a read through some of the posts in different forums, I thought I would start by posting here.

I've recently been struggling quite a lot with my mental health and while I'm receiving support from health care professionals, what I feel like I don't have anyone in my life who understands what it's like. Sometimes I feel like I need to vent after seeing the professionals (which at times has recently been quite traumatic) but I don't know who to turn to. I'm hoping maybe I can find that here.

13 Replies 13

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Gem, welcome

I'm please you are getting professional help. A big plus there.

OK, imagine you are an astronaut. You go to space then return. You tell all your family and friends...how many would be able to relate to your story?. If anyone did they would be a rarity, maybe a pilot or parachutist with imagination and intense interest.

No different to mental illness, an illness you cannot see, hear, smell, touch or taste, just an account from you and sadly it isn't enough.

My guess... 80% don't get it at all, 10% try and have limited success, 5% have extreme empathy and can help (includes many professional medical people) and 5% have a mental illness. Not good odds to get help is it?

Hence this forum and why it's so successful. You're among your own.

You have options here. Keep reading and learning, use search bar and start your own anonymous thread in topics that concern you.

Here is a thread you can google that you might find interesting

Beyondblue topic they just won't understand, why?

Regards TonyWK

Thank you so much for responding! You're analogy is so right. Most people have no idea and while some people try, it's like they really don't really get it. Reading some of the other posts has already made me realise what a great community this is - a safe place to share experiences and be vulnerable with people who understand how hard it can be.

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Gem17,

I note you already have a couple threads , so after saying 'hello' I will go & read them. 😸

You are very welcome here, & as Tony says, you'll find people here who have a better than average chance of understanding.

Oh! 😸 & I see you are ahead of me! As I see above, you've replied to Tony faster than I can reply to you!

mmMekitty

Gem17
Community Member
Thank you for your response! Already this community has provided me with more supportive interactions than I have had in a long time. I've been really struggling to leave the house since taking time off work a couple of months ago due to struggling with my mental health so have been really isolated (which most of the time is what I prefer because it's easier but I can also see that it probably isn't helpful). The only people I have really seen and spoken to are my doctors which doesn't always feel supportive. So, I really appreciate both of your responses!

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Gem, it's good you've posted here on this site because sometimes the doctors do look at us wondering how we could possibly be feeling this way because the last time we saw them all we could do is boost about our situation and now suddenly it's the reverse.

We have all been through our own experiences, which we had hoped never happened, but we can't predict what's going to happen in the future, no matter how well it's currently going and to talk with people who have struggled themselves is definitely beneficial.

We are all in this together and want to share, help and support those who are having trouble understanding why.

Take care.

Geoff.

Sophia16
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Gem,

Welcome to the Beyond Blue community. We are happy that you are here. Thank you for letting us know how you feel. It looks like you are going through a hard time.

Just know that you are so strong for getting through this year, especially with COVID.

Stay safe and i am always here to chat.

Gem17
Community Member

Hi Geoff,

Thank you for responding. It is definitely nice to have found this community where everyone is so understanding and caring. It really does mean so much!

Gem17
Community Member

Hi Sophia,

Thank you for your response.

I do feel like I'm going through quite a challenging time at the moment. I don't think I've struggled this much with my mental health before so it's all a little bit scary.

I really appreciate the connections I have already had with people here. It makes such a difference to feel heard and not judged.

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Gem

I have a thread you might be interested in reading.

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/depression/depression-and-the-timing-of-motivation

TonyWK