FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Hi

Kelly_bee
Community Member
Hi, my name is Kelly and I have been suffering from depression for nearly 20 years of my life. The older I'm getting and the experiences in life I am facing I'm finding that my depression is getting worse. Today I found this site and thought I'd turn to here to see if this will help me. I feel like no matter what I do to help myself that I'm still struggling and drowning in how I feel. I'm not sure what it is that can really help. 
3 Replies 3

Zeal
Community Member

Hi Kelly,

Welcome to the forum! You're in the right place to get support and advice 🙂

I'm sorry to hear you've lived with depression for so long. A number of others on this site have also experienced long-term depression. I've had OCD (an anxiety condition) for almost a decade now. I was diagnosed when I was 13. Do you regularly see your GP about your depression, or have you in the past? Also, have you tried seeing counsellors or psychologists? There's a good chance you have, but perhaps you didn't feel that you found the right professional - someone you can relate to. If you would like to see someone new about your depression, there is a directory on this site for accessing professional services in each Australian state. Go to the first option in the top blue menu (Get Support) and select Find a professional.

Having social support is vital for anyone, and especially for those with a mental illness. Try to spend time with family and friends as much as you are able to. I know that I would not be as happy and healthy as I am now without my family, my best friend, and new friends I've met recently.

Hopefully other people with more experience of living with depression will give you some advice too 🙂

Best wishes,

SM

sunlightguardian
Community Member

Hi Kelly_bee,

Welcome to Beyondblue! As SM said, these forums are a perfect place to talk anonymously and get advice on things that may be troubling you. Many people here have experienced mental health issues before and we are all willing to help each other where possible. 

I'm sorry to hear that you have been suffering from depression for so long. I understand that it is very draining and even though it seems like it won't get better, it will. You have felt happy before and you will again soon! Have you tried talking to close friends or relatives or a counsellor about your thoughts? This could be very helpful knowing you have a great support network around you who are always willing to listen and can turn to when things get a little out of control. Counselling can also be really useful because the counsellor can help you in a different way than how your friends and family typically would and they will help guide you through the decisions you make on your road to recovery.

Take care and keep posting,

Steph 🙂

Goanna
Community Member
hi.  i am facing a similar situation.  i have had depression on and off for 26 years.  im going through it right now unfortunately.  i think sometimes the way other people behave, or my hormones, or bad weather etc can affect my mood for the worse as well.  i usually find talking to a close friend/writing in a journal how i really feel about something or about my day/having a good cry/resting/watching a good movie all very helpful to lift my mood.  i hope this helps 🙂