FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Hi, I'm new here

21_kat_louise
Community Member
Hi i'm Kat, i'm in my early adult years and suffer from Anxiety and Depression and some PTSD and i have done for 8 years now, since I was 13. It started from bulling at High School. I had to drop out of school after grade 10 and started to try other things such as home school/ getting a full time job. I was doing a lot better until my Grandmother who I was extremely close to passed away suddenly last December. Since then I have just gotten worse and it is affecting every aspect of my life. I have been at my job for almost 2 years now but I have had so much time off this year due to my mental health issues, which now means that I am struggling to pay off my car, my phone bill, do things with friends and do activities that I enjoy, which in turn makes me even more anxious and upset to think about what I am going to do. Currently I am trying to find a job that I can do from home so that even on days that I can't leave the house/ be around people, I am still able to earn money and work. Thank you for listening Beyond Blue Community 
2 Replies 2

Melarmani
Community Member

Hi Kat,

Thank you for sharing your experience. My life mirrors yours in so many ways I especially understand losing your Gran whom in my case truly was my anchor and a second Mum to me in every way. I know it's not terribly glamorous but what I did is I started a small house cleaning business. This gave me the privacy , autonomy and income I needed. Also as the work rate is very physical it meant I slept better. There is also a very high amount of job satisfaction as your clients are very appreciative you will receive positive feedback which is lovely and you will feel valued. Again I realise most people don't expect to be cleaning houses but it helped me immensely. 

Love Mel.

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Kat and Mel,

I would like to welcome you both to Beyond Blue and to the community here. It is lovely Mel that you have been able to offer a suggestion to Kat regarding the house cleaning as a work idea.

These last 6 months I have been struggling with my mental health and required hospitalisation twice for a week each time and also had about 4 weeks off work while at home. I had an employer phone and say that if I required any more time off then I could look for another job.

I have mentioned this phone call to a few friends and they have said that the employer had no right to make such a phone call nor to speak in such a confronting manner.

It is difficult when our illness interferes with our ability to work. It would be wonderful if we could all find employment to do from home. I certainly wish you well with this Kat and hope you are able to come up with something.

Could you phone the local council and see if there is a free financial counsellor you could speak to help you balance your bills?

Have you spoken to your Dr about your feelings of grief? I went to see a grief counsellor and she helped me a lot with my feelings. Just being able to openly express the pain and hurt I was feeling was so helpful. I also borrowed books from the library to help me understand the grief process and to work through the issues I was having.

Regarding house cleaning Mel, I too do that as a living, through an aged care agency that assists elderly in their homes. I also take some of the dears to the shops, appointments and what ever other  errands they have. It is very rewarding work. I am a sub contractor, so the agency provides me with the clients but I basically work alone.

I hope you both have a good week.

Cheers for now from Mrs. Dools