FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Hi I’m new here and am wanting to connect with others who struggle with psychosis

Lily_H
Community Member

I have been struggling a lot lately as I believe ppl are trying to hurt and kill me. This makes it hard to trust ppl and reach out for help. The other night I had a bad panic attack and was yelling for help bc I thought ppl killed my brothers (I still think that). I now can’t sleep in my bed bc it reminds me of that.

I am particularly scared of my family but I find being around people in general very frightening. It is difficult to leave my house and make friends as I believe they will kill me.

I am here bc I want to be able to share my experiences and hear about others as well so I know I’m not alone.

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hi Lily H, 

Thank you so much for joining us on the forums and for sharing you experiences, it sounds like you are going through a tough time right now with you psychosis. We can only imagine how this might make you feel but we can hear that it is making your anxiety more active. We are really sorry to hear you are feeling this way. Psychosis is a challenging thing to be living with and the fact that you are here shows that you have a great amount of strength. 

What is incredible is that you have sought support from this warm and understanding community, thank you for showing so much courage. You never know if someone will see this post and feel less alone in their own experience and we hope you can get that suppprt from someone commenting below. 

We want to encrouage you to give our phoneline a call on 1300 22 4636 so you can talk through these feelings with our helpful and kind team. They can help give advice on what to do when you are feeling distressed as well as where to look for ongoing support. You can also call our friends at Lifeline on 13 11 14 if you prefer, they are also brilliant!

We also highly recommend seeing a GP or a psychologist if you are not already, they are the absolute best people to give ongoing care and help you along the journey to feeling better. 

It is important to remember that if you feel that you or others are unsafe that you shoudl call 000 as this can be an emergenecy. 

Thank you again for reaching out and please feel free to update us on how you are feeling, if you would like to. Welcome to the community, we are always here is you need us. 

Kind regards, 

Sophie M

Guest9337
Community Member

G'day Lily H,

Thanks for sharing, I've had some similar experiences.

Persons unknown spiked my drink on multiple occasions for their own reasons and each of those spikes caused me to seem psychotic; drug induced psychosis is the label the emergency department applied, and their drug tests showed what had been put into my body. Once all that left my system, the "paranoia" remained and it hurt alot.

So yeh, I feel how your thoughts are intrusive. They'll be ruminating around and around, I suppose, like mine did. In the moments the world felt weird. We got to ask ourselves... What is the evidence that someone wants to hurt me? Write it down, make a list of all the evidence you can actually see/touch and express. Maybe someone is trying to hurt you - how are they going to do that? What are your vulnerabilities? Like do you share drinks with strangers?

Do those who feed you also eat the same food? If they're eating the same food as you it's likely they want you alive!

Who provides your shelter? Removing shelter from a person is one "easy" way to harm, so if someone is providing you shelter - it's likely they want to keep you alive.

First of all attend to your bodily needs, food, water, shelter, sleep, medicines, hygiene. No matter what's going on in our head we want to stay alive, so do those things like eating, drinking and moving. Appreciate that you can do those highly important living needs. If you find you can't meet those needs every day, then head on into an emergency department or another place with people that can help.

I hope my post is useful Lily H.